Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban Apple CarPlay upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2020, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Suburban Apple CarPlay upgrade questions

New to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance if this has already been answered. I looked to see if there were answers elsewhere, but haven't found them to all of my questions. I recently purchased a 2015 Suburban LTZ and would like to add CarPlay primarily. My questions are:

1. My truck was built 3/24/15. I have seen conflicting reports that I can just replace the HMI module (upgrade from 2.0 to 2.5) vs also having to replace the box under the center console. There was some discussion that later build dates can get away with not replacing the other module. My truck does have the Text option on the MyLink screen if that helps any. Are there particular part numbers I need to retain use of the Rear seat entertainment system or do all the boxes work with it too?

2. Since new modules require programming is this something the dealer can do without a lot of hassle (i.e. I am adding a non-original part number to my truck. are they going to give me crap about it)? Also, are there aftermarket tools that I can use to do this? I don't have anything like that, but if I have to go pay the dealer $150 for them to program my box, I would consider just buying a scan tool system for future use

3. As I mentioned, my truck has the rear seat entertainment system. Are there options for adding HDMI or other inputs for this system? Not sure my family will ever use it in its current config (we do almost all streaming these days). i have seen screen mirroring solutions, but my understanding is they only allow mirroring on the dash screen and not the RSE screens. Any options there?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
08burb8184 (January 13th, 2022)