Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2016 Suburban Z71 vs LT

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2015, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Suburban Z71 vs LT

Hello -First Post - So glad I found this forum
Approaching my 3rd suburban with my current one being a 1999.
I've looked at them since early this year (2015) but now need to order 2016 due to options I want (mainly full 2nd row seating).
I have been looking at all options and have come down to:
Sunroof, enterainment package and Max trailer Package plus a few small things like roof rack, tow hooks.
I DO like the look of the dark rims on the Z71 package so with that being said I am looking into the Z71 package over the LT as it provides these rims, fog lights, tow hooks.
It also provides a better shock but not sure if it will be stiffer as opposed to LT????
THe Z71 does NOT provide a brake controller but can be added.
It does provide the 3.42 rear - same as Max Trailer Pack.

Questions???
-Will the ride of the Z71 be much more stiff than the straight LT?
-Will the Z71 package have aux. trans. and oil coolers - I am not sure the max trailer package one will?
-I know it will have skit plates underneath - I must have a front mount hitch for a rack I use for various things like wood/coolers. Think they will make one to fit it w/ plates underneath?
-Is there anything else I need to think about between the two??

I do have an order into dealer that I am not obligated to buying that truck but it's time to bite the bullet and get one - 99 is just not a reliable as I'd like.
Old September 13th, 2015, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

I Guess I should state that I will tow with this truck from time to time - so the 3.42 rear and trailer brakes are a must. Offroad - not so much - mainly thinking Z71 for the rims - plus it adds fog lights, tow hooks and a front air damm that is not so low to the ground.
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Max trailer will have six oil cooler. Tow hooks are orderable options. Fog lights I am not sure they are a sole factory option or part of a package. Skid plates can be ordered from dealer and installed by dealer too. 3 pcs and bolts. About 500$.
Z71 from other years had bilstein shock and they were always a little stiffer. I used to change out my lt shocks for the bilsteins. I liked the ride better. Less roll in cornering.
I don't order the sunroof. If you don't keep it clean. There are plugs that leak. I think
Sunroofs weaken the integrity of the roof as well.

I am going to look at the air dam. I think it's too low.