Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

22" wheels

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2007, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22" wheels

I put a set of 22" wheels on my 07 suburban and now the tire pressure doesn't register. I put new valve stems in the wheels made for the sensors but the GM dealer told me they aren't reading with their computer. What should I do? Is there a way to correct this wihout spending more$$$$$$$$$$?
Old April 4th, 2007, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 22" wheels

I thought the valve stems and the sensors were all one piece.There were two different sensors used for 2007 Suburbans. Part number 15825475 was for vehicles made before October 1, 2006.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

My suburban has seperate valve stems GM part#15263240 that is a threaded valve stem and it comes with a screw. They suggest you change these everytime you change tires so I put new ones on my wheels but they still do not work. Any suggestions?
Old April 5th, 2007, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Let me see if I understand correctly. Your Tire Pressure Sensors are not integral with the valve stems but are a separate unit that mounts to the inside of the wheel with a screw. Is this correct? If the Tire Pressure Sensors are not integral with the valve stem then it should not matter what valve stems are used. I suspect that GM recommends the metal valve stems so that tire installers can easily identify the wheel as having a Tire Pressure Sensor installed. I assume that you have tried to "learn tire positions" as documented in the user manual. If so did you ever get a beep on any of the tires when you increased/decreased tire pressure? When you underinflate a tire (~24 psi) do you get a low tire pressure warning?
Old April 5th, 2007, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

The sensor screws into the bottom of the valve stem with the little screw they send you. I haven't done anything but take it to a gm dealership and they told me that their computer did not read it and I needed all new sensors. I only have 80 miles on my new sub. so their is no way they are screwed up and I also watched them at the tire store install these and they weren't damaged.
Old April 5th, 2007, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Ifound a picture of the new style likeyou have on ebay and I now understand how they are attached. If the sensors were not damaged they should still transmit to the receiver in the car, only the tire positions might be incorrect but you can relearn tire positions by following the instructions in the manual.
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

This is what I think the problem is: The 22 inch tires are stiff low profile tiresand the signal from the sensors is being shielded by the additional steel belts in your tires.
Old April 7th, 2007, 2:24 AM
CF Beginner

From the National Highway Trafic Safety Administration

However, NHTSA has been presented with data demonstrating that a very small number of replacement tires may cause a vehicle’s TPMS to exhibit functional problems for which there is currently no clear solution. The identified problems are primarily related to the tires’ construction (e.g., run-flat tires) and material content (e.g., high carbon content in low aspect-ratio tires, thicker sidewall, or steel body ply sidewall).
In many instances, TPMSs may function properly even when equipped with replacement tires with the above-mentioned characteristics, but to date, it has not been possible to develop an appropriate performance measure that would reliably identify those anomalous tires that would prevent proper TPMS functioning. However, available data show that, in 2002, light vehicle tires having either steel body ply cords (steel casing tires) or run-flat capability accounted for less than 0.5 percent of tires distributed in the United States. [4]
Based upon the above new information, we now believe that there is not a sufficient basis to require vehicle manufacturers to assure compliance with all replacement tires. While the number of tires expected to be incompatible with a given TPMS is expected to be small, such a requirement would nonetheless raise significant practicability concerns. For example, vehicle manufacturers will not be able to anticipate future tire construction changes; therefore, a replacement tire requirement similar to the one contained in the June 2002 final rule could force vehicle manufacturers to halt vehicle sales over a problem they could not correct. We continue to believe, however, that the TPMS should continue to function properly beyond the point at which the vehicle’s original tires are replaced, a clearly foreseeable event. At a minimum, consumers need to know if the TPMS is not functioning with the replacement tires. Otherwise, an unilluminated low tire pressure telltale would give consumers a false sense of security in those cases.