Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   2500 burb knocking in intermediate shaft replacement costs (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/2500-burb-knocking-intermediate-shaft-replacement-costs-48046/)

jlee815 January 22nd, 2012 8:12 PM

2500 burb knocking in intermediate shaft replacement costs

Hi, Lets see if someone can answer these 2 questions question. From what I found out today this is is a known issue. How much does it cost to replace the intermediate shaft in the steering of a 2006 2500 suburban?
I have 90K and its 2006 so no warranty...
Is this problem dangerous?
I will get it fixed but I also need to drive 200 miles this week with a travel trailer and cant get the car in to be serviced this week.

This noise was driving me crazy. I thought it was a hub or something. Went to NTB and they said hub and suspension was fine. I knew there was a problem somewhere and the forum nailed it...

Please let me know how much this costs to fix and is it dangerous or just a bad noise?

73shark January 22nd, 2012 8:28 PM

They used to relube them which wasn't a lasting fix. Now they replace w/ a new design. My wife and daughter both got theirs replaced free under Customer Satisfaction.

Don't know if it ever gets any worse over time or not. Personally I liked the old rag joint. ;)

Chevrolet Customer Service January 23rd, 2012 8:38 AM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jlee815,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your Suburban. Costs for repairs vary on a case by case basis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. After a physical inspection has been completed, a more accurate estimate for repair can be offered.

The steering shaft noise may be a source of annoyance; however, it is not something that will cause part failure. The vehicle is safe to drive.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

jlee815 January 24th, 2012 6:13 PM

Thanks to those who responded. Thanks Louis for looking at the forum and responding to the questions. I will take it to the dealership to get a cost for repair. I am so happy to have potentially nailed what the problem is. It was really frustrating to know there was an issue and not have a shop be able to diagnose it. I had stopped driving the vehicle because of it.

TomS209 January 24th, 2012 9:55 PM

I replaced mine. Quite simple to do although I have a half ton Tahoe. Amazon sells them for $39 made by Dorman. It's been about two years with no further problems. Dorman 425-176 Intermediate Steering Shaft (search Amazon.com). I believe there is a You Tube video showing how to do it.
Tom