Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2500 burb knocking in intermediate shaft replacement costs

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2012, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 burb knocking in intermediate shaft replacement costs

Hi, Lets see if someone can answer these 2 questions question. From what I found out today this is is a known issue. How much does it cost to replace the intermediate shaft in the steering of a 2006 2500 suburban?
I have 90K and its 2006 so no warranty...
Is this problem dangerous?
I will get it fixed but I also need to drive 200 miles this week with a travel trailer and cant get the car in to be serviced this week.

This noise was driving me crazy. I thought it was a hub or something. Went to NTB and they said hub and suspension was fine. I knew there was a problem somewhere and the forum nailed it...

Please let me know how much this costs to fix and is it dangerous or just a bad noise?
Old January 22nd, 2012, 8:28 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

They used to relube them which wasn't a lasting fix. Now they replace w/ a new design. My wife and daughter both got theirs replaced free under Customer Satisfaction.

Don't know if it ever gets any worse over time or not. Personally I liked the old rag joint.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 8:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jlee815,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your Suburban. Costs for repairs vary on a case by case basis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. After a physical inspection has been completed, a more accurate estimate for repair can be offered.

The steering shaft noise may be a source of annoyance; however, it is not something that will cause part failure. The vehicle is safe to drive.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 24th, 2012, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to those who responded. Thanks Louis for looking at the forum and responding to the questions. I will take it to the dealership to get a cost for repair. I am so happy to have potentially nailed what the problem is. It was really frustrating to know there was an issue and not have a shop be able to diagnose it. I had stopped driving the vehicle because of it.
Old January 24th, 2012, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine. Quite simple to do although I have a half ton Tahoe. Amazon sells them for $39 made by Dorman. It's been about two years with no further problems. Dorman 425-176 Intermediate Steering Shaft (search Amazon.com). I believe there is a You Tube video showing how to do it.
Tom