Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

40-50 mph vibration

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2017, 1:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40-50 mph vibration

Ever since I bought my 2007 suburban LT Z it's had a shutter around 40 to 50 mph. Someone suggested that it might be because of a constant velocity driveshaft. Some sort of driveshaft that is split in two separate sections. Can anyone tell me if these vehicles are equipped with such device Or if they've had trouble with them in the past
Old January 31st, 2017, 8:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok here is a little more information.

The suburban only vibrates on acceleration. It does not do it will idling or slowing down. It also doesn't shake while in park and revving the engine.

Any ideas?
Old January 31st, 2017, 9:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

While idling or revving the engine the drive shaft is not turning. They do use a 2 piece driveshaft with a support bearing in the center.. It could also be the tires. They might need to be balanced or replaced. How old and how many miles on the tires? Is the ABS light on?
Old February 1st, 2017, 8:52 AM
CF Junior Member

The tires are relativity new. They have about 4 or 5/32 left on them.

I got under the suburban and it doesn't appear that my vehicle has the driveshaft that is 2 separate pieces. It looked to me just like any other drive shaft. It went from the rear axle straight into the transmission. (I think it actually went into the 4 wheel drive portion of the tranny but I can't remember for sure) I remember it was long though. Probably between 4 and 5 feel long.

I appreciate your help on the matter. This has been bugging me.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

tires do not vibrate on accell unless the wheel lug nuts/tires are about to fall off.
the front shaft does not move in 2wd so forget it

i would check the rear driveshaft ujoints...to do that...remove the driveshaft. move both front and rear joint by hand in all directions...if its not smooth...replace it.