Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

4l60e fresh build problems! Help!

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2018, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e fresh build problems! Help!

Hey guys. I recently rebuilt my 4l60e 4wd trans. For the 2nd time in 10k miles. First time it was perfect, but didn't install an auxiliary coiler like an idiot, and after 1k miles on it started hauling about 3 times the rated weight for my 93 suburban (scrap metal and cars). So, when I put 1400 lbs on a tiny trailer rated for 750 lbs and then put everything my family owned into the back of the suburban, and drove it nonstop from Texas to Michigan, it lost first gear completely (melted shift solenoid from trans overheating) around Missouri. Limped it the remaining 700 miles to my destination in Michigan. Tore it down again, found the fwd clutch slightly burned and solenoids melted. Ordered another Alto red rebuild kit. It already has the Corvette Servo kit, transgo sk shift kit. I replaced the forward drum and reverse input drum. Put it back together, everything was great!! Drove it back and forth to work for the last 2 weeks. About 800 miles on it. I noticed the past few days it wouldnt fully engage first or reverse until slightly pressing the throttle. Otherwise still solid no slipping. Today, the delay went away on my way home from work. Was pleased with it. Dropped my buddy off at home about 20 miles away, and got back on the freeway. About 2 miles down the freeway at 75 mph (4th gear) it neutraled out. No 3rd no 4th. Still had solid 2nd and first. Pulled over checked fluid, still clean, but slightly darker pink than before I left work. I'm positive I smoked the 3/4 clugches. My question is WHY?!?!? What could possibly have caused such a sudden failure so soon? Help! Thanks in advance.

Mike