Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

4l80e question

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2018, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e question

Hey guys, I’ve been looking around online, and hoping you might be able to help. I have a 1993 suburban, with a 4l60e that’s on its way out. I have a 4l80e out of a 1994, with 200 miles on it. I also have a 1995 K2500 suburban, that I’m about to scrap. I’d like to put the 4l80e in the 1993, and I know I can use some parts out of the 95, to make the job easier. So my question is, what would I need as far as electronics/wiring, to make this tranny fit. I’ve been doing research, but can only find things that pertain to newer trucks
Old July 21st, 2018, 10:42 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Old thread so perhaps you’ve moved on already - but I just joined forum and was browsing around.
I am not an expert, but I have a 93 suburban and have messed around with the transmission fixing various problems over the years. I think 93 was one of the very early years for the ECU controlling the trans instead of vacuum and rpm. The gear shift linkage is simple mechanical linkage and there is a pressure switch on the transmission which tells the ECU what gear is selected. I was told that later years had a different sensor arrangements directly off the shifter so if true may have different inputs to ECU. There are forums where there are knowledgeable people on what ECU code/models works with what stuff. Check out Tunerpro and/or gearhead-efi