Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

4x4 lo question

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is literally an infinite number of combinations, and I've never had my Burb over about 20 mph in 4Lo.

I was posting with someone who had a Rubicon the other day, and he said that his final was about 50:1 or so, but he did Rock I think.

I feel pretty confident that a Fluid change and some use, on trainwreck91's ride will certainly help his situation, and it won't cost all that much to explore that option. So many have 4WD and never use it, which is harder on the Case than excessive use.

I've been holding back a thought here...
Used to ride Motorcycles back when, and a Dry Chain always is tighter than one that's Lubed properly, and can cause that binding effect. I hope that's not the situation here. A replacement Case can cost $800-1000.
Old May 10th, 2013, 5:03 AM
CF Senior Member

Care ful on the fluid you buy. Went to my brother in-laws shop to complete and entire fluid change on the car (already had done oil & ATF) and there are two transfer cases. A borg warner that just takes Dextron VI. And like a no name transfer case that is better than the borg warner and it takes Auto-Trak II (very expensive) (also the better one which i have )

This was pulled from alldata and the southern made cars have the better no name a lot more often and the northern ones more often have the borg warner. My brother in-law had to call a dealer i think that he does a lot of talking with and had to do a vin search to make sure. And i got the good one
Old May 10th, 2013, 8:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how can you tell which transfer case is which?

also how hard is it to change ATF is it simple drain and fill? Is there a drain plug on the tranny?

swhouston: i haven't purchased the burb yet, it was one of the ones i was looking at and liked LTZ Black on black with 100k on it-drove nice ride nice felt some loss of power from a standstill compared to a '13 LS i test drove but overall 8-9 out of 10 and the only issue was the 4lo that felt like it didn't want to go

Last edited by trainwreck91; May 10th, 2013 at 8:29 AM.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by trainwreck91
how can you tell which transfer case is which?

also how hard is it to change ATF. Is there a drain plug on the tranny?

swhouston: i haven't purchased the burb yet,
The "good ones" as Joe has pointed out, have a model number like...
NP246, NGV246 or possibly NP243...like that.
But you have to get under it to check the tag out.

Simple drain. Pull the plug on the bottom, drain and fill from a plug up on the side of the case.

Ok then, make a Fluid Change a condition of possible purchase. Get them to tell you when it's done, and then test it again. IF it's a dry case or shellacked up, it should clear up with a couple blocks driving.
Old May 10th, 2013, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
Bluedog,

There are only 4 speed and 6 speed Suburban. And yes, my burb doesnt make it much past like 45mph in 4LO. I have the 4 speed. And the final gear of the 4 speed is a little different than the 6 speed because the 6's are paired up with 3.08's or 3.42's. No the traditional 3.73's.

Oh 4 speeds I could not remember if it was 4 or 5 speeds. I couldn't remember if the new bodystyle subs changed to a 5 speed or not, I know our 2005 had the 4 speed. My truck only has a 3 speed auto with Torque converter lockup (acts like a 4th gear) but its a 47RH mated to a np473, so its gearing is very oddball.
Old May 10th, 2013, 4:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
Care ful on the fluid you buy. Went to my brother in-laws shop to complete and entire fluid change on the car (already had done oil & ATF) and there are two transfer cases. A borg warner that just takes Dextron VI. And like a no name transfer case that is better than the borg warner and it takes Auto-Trak II (very expensive) (also the better one which i have )

This was pulled from alldata and the southern made cars have the better no name a lot more often and the northern ones more often have the borg warner. My brother in-law had to call a dealer i think that he does a lot of talking with and had to do a vin search to make sure. And i got the good one

Is the no name tcase a new process/new venture gear tcase? If that is the case then it would be a better tcase than the Borg Warner.
Old May 10th, 2013, 9:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Oh man, sorry not trying to be rude but must have experience to give help.
You have to do a VIN look-up. There are no tags on the transfer case.

Yes there is a drain and fill plug. (separate)

and, DONT BUY THIS BURB!!
STAY AWAY!!!
I have a HUGE list of problems since 96k, never buy a burb with over 90k, EVER.
Run and keep running. Dont buy it, trust me. I have had mine since 50k. Currently have 125K on it. Please believe me.

Last edited by Joe In NY; May 10th, 2013 at 9:34 PM.
Old May 10th, 2013, 9:42 PM
CF Senior Member

The borg warner has the part # starting with bw
Attached Thumbnails 4x4 lo question-untitled.png  
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:01 PM
CF Senior Member

poked around in alldata some more. The Borg warner is for Denalis, and cadillacs. its for AWD.

The no name is for us with 4WD. It takes two quarts of Auto-Trak II

CORRECTION: Sorry, its not a no name transfer case, its a New Venture.
Attached Thumbnails 4x4 lo question-untitled2.png   4x4 lo question-untitled3.png   4x4 lo question-untitled4.png  
Old May 13th, 2013, 9:46 AM
CF Junior Member

There should be a tag on the tcase (if it is a new venture) here is a picture of a NP246 tag and location.
Attached Thumbnails 4x4 lo question-plug_locations%5B1%5D.jpg  

Quick Reply: 4x4 lo question