Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

5.3/4l60e jerking/misfiring when taking off in first

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2016, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3/4l60e misfiring when taking off, stops around 30mph

I have a 2002 surburban with a 5.3, my first issue was hard constant jerking at speeds over 50-55. I changed the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor and it went away.

Car ran fine for a day or two then I noticed a misfire/jerk at low speeds, the rpms drop with each misfire/jerk.

Any ideas?

It misfires and jerks from 0-30ish.

Last edited by cam3888; August 23rd, 2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

I had this problem with my 2002 Avalanche. Turned out the catalytic converters were stopped up. I even replaced the intake gaskets before I figured out what it was.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Oxyacetylene
I had this problem with my 2002 Avalanche. Turned out the catalytic converters were stopped up. I even replaced the intake gaskets before I figured out what it was.
How would I check those?

Another new symptom today. Was leaving from a stoplight and it started sputtering like it was going to stall, the rpms bounced around 100-200 but it wouldnt stall out. I tried hitting the gas and it pretty much had 0 response, rpms wouldnt go up and car wouldnt move.

Also I didnt change my intake gaskets when I took it off to do the camshaft position sensor, since they are only about 5-6000 miles old. Could they be leaking and it be causing this? I would think if that was the case it would give issues at high speeds too

Last edited by cam3888; August 23rd, 2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 1:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was driving a Saturn some yeas ago when the transmission was acting funny. Would not shift correctly, so I though transmission was going bad. Turns out the battery was affecting it. Had to replace it, and once that was done, started shifting correctly again.
Just a thought.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KNERD
I was driving a Saturn some yeas ago when the transmission was acting funny. Would not shift correctly, so I though transmission was going bad. Turns out the battery was affecting it. Had to replace it, and once that was done, started shifting correctly again.
Just a thought.
Batteries are good. Might start with a tune up as ive never done one on it yet, then clean the maf sensor and maybe change the intake gaskets.

Im at a real loss with this one.
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not sure of the best way to test your catalytic converters. It just sounds so much like the issue I had. Mine was not even driveable when it got this bad. I suppose you could unplug all 4 O2 sensors, and remove the whole Y pipe assembly. The truck will run, but be noisy and throw trouble codes for the O2 sensors. That might at least prove or disprove the catalytic converters being at fault.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Did you figure out your issue yet?