Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

5.3 L Stutter - Help needed

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2023, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L Stutter - Help needed

I have a 2012 Suburban 5.3 L automatic transmission 146,000 miles flex fuel.

I've been trying to chase down a stutter that's pretty bad usually between 1200-2000 "ish" RPMs and only on light acceleration.

There isn't any engine knocking so I don't believe a lifter is frozen. I have an AFM disabler plugged in.

Items I've replaced: MAP, MAF, spark plugs, spark plug wire, coils, and throttle body and throttle position sensor.

I am on my 2nd tank of E-85 (my vehicle is flex fuel) hoping that the moonshine might clean things up and possibly help.

I've checked all fluid levels.
I've hooked up an OBII scan tool and checked fuel trim, miss fires, and various other diagnostics. Everything reads within range at idle and under load.

It feels like a shutter/miss fire and is mild-moderate in intensity.
When the vehicle is cold and I first drive it the shutter isn't there until the vehicle warms up but that only lasts for a minute or two.
I can hold the accelerator down just slightly and get it to shutter non stop.
This has been going on for a year. I'm slowly going through and doing general maintenance myself. Next up is new brakes (needs them), transmission flush, and transfer case flush.

If anyone has experienced this before or has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Steeve; August 6th, 2023 at 7:24 PM.
Old January 17th, 2024, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steeve
I have a 2012 Suburban 5.3 L automatic transmission 146,000 miles flex fuel.

I've been trying to chase down a stutter that's pretty bad usually between 1200-2000 "ish" RPMs and only on light acceleration.

There isn't any engine knocking so I don't believe a lifter is frozen. I have an AFM disabler plugged in.

Items I've replaced: MAP, MAF, spark plugs, spark plug wire, coils, and throttle body and throttle position sensor.

I am on my 2nd tank of E-85 (my vehicle is flex fuel) hoping that the moonshine might clean things up and possibly help.

I've checked all fluid levels.
I've hooked up an OBII scan tool and checked fuel trim, miss fires, and various other diagnostics. Everything reads within range at idle and under load.

It feels like a shutter/miss fire and is mild-moderate in intensity.
When the vehicle is cold and I first drive it the shutter isn't there until the vehicle warms up but that only lasts for a minute or two.
I can hold the accelerator down just slightly and get it to shutter non stop.
This has been going on for a year. I'm slowly going through and doing general maintenance myself. Next up is new brakes (needs them), transmission flush, and transfer case flush.

If anyone has experienced this before or has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Hey Steve, ever figure out this problem? I’m having practically the same problem with my 08 burban 5.3l