Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

5.3 liter hydraulic lifter replacement

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2015, 10:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 5.3 liter hydraulic lifter replacement

I own a 2008 Chevy Suburban with a 5.3 liter V-8. It is of the AFM type and I would like to know, before I get started, Does the cylinder head of either bank have to be removed to replace the lifters? After removing the valve cover to check if I had a broken valve spring, I have found that the spring is fine. My #4 cylinder lost compression and has caused a misfire or loss of power to #4 cylinder. I have done engine rebuilds. However, I have never had to dig into the guts of the newer engines. So, as stated, any info before I get to deep into my Suburban engine would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 14th, 2015, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yogi.
No expert here but my 2007 Burb is at shop today with #6 misfire and they suspect lifter. Head DOES have to come off to get to lifters. I have a thread below I started this weekend.
Old December 14th, 2015, 2:12 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow, they must have really changed the architecture of the Chevy v8 since the small block 350 days. It used to be that you just needed to remove the intake manifold and valve covers to replace the lifters.
Old December 14th, 2015, 6:10 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply Doktrred. Wasn't what I was hoping to hear. But, at least I know now and can order a top end seal and gasket kit instead of just a intake kit. Probably end up deciding to replace all the lifters rather than just the #4 cylinder set if the cam is still in good shape. Not looking forward to breaking free the exhaust manifold/s from the heads.
Old December 15th, 2015, 2:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Breaking free? Probably more like breaking off...

But with all the work your doing in there it may be easier to replace the bolts then if you didn't need to do the work.
Old December 18th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

If you don't have the factory manuals, I would strongly suggest getting an AllDataDIY account, you will have access to all the service manuals and latest updates. A subscription is not very expensive considering the amount of information you have available at your fingertips... 5 years of access is $30...
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:31 AM
CF Active Member

Default AllinDIY on line manuals

Is there a web page to go to to get the AllinDIY manuals? The price is darn good for a five year subscription.
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Active Member

Meant AllDataDIY .
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi
Meant AllDataDIY .

https://www.alldatadiy.com