Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

5.3L Intake Swirl Flaps

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2014 | 8:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Default 5.3L Intake Swirl Flaps

Does the 5.3L engine have something called intake swirl flaps? My 06 Suburban has developed a subtle ticking noise similar to a lifter from the rear/top side of the motor after it warms up. It seems to dissipate when the rpm's are higher. Dealer and other mechanics say it sounds like something internal but cannot pinpoint it. I've driven the vehicle 1000 miles since it has started and it has not changed as far as getting better or worse. I watched a video of a guy that removed the swirl flaps from his Ford Ranger and the noise went away. He first unplugged the vacuum line on the intake manifold and the noise disappeared. Any ideas? Thanks
Old September 23rd, 2014 | 5:01 PM
CF Junior Member

hello. anyone???
Old September 23rd, 2014 | 8:14 PM
Administrator

I've never heard of swirl flaps and I've never seen anything like that on a small block Chevy engine. Your noise maybe a sticking lifter or a broken valve spring.
Old September 24th, 2014 | 12:47 PM
CF Junior Member

No clicking noise on cold start up and it almost goes away when the rpm's are increased. Also goes away at times when warm and sitting at a stop light. Wouldn't a broken spring or lifter issue sound off all the time? Thanks for responding.
Old September 24th, 2014 | 8:44 PM
Administrator

Probably. Take a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can narrow down the location.
Old September 24th, 2014 | 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Tick seems to be coming from the rear passenger side of the engine. Per stethoscope.
Old September 25th, 2014 | 10:46 AM
Administrator

Going away with RPM could just mean the sound frequency is changing and you don't hear it...
Is it top or bottom of the engine?
could be a rod cap, could be lifter, could be rocker arm and maybe even an exhaust leak... piston slap maybe?
Old September 25th, 2014 | 9:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Seems to be towards the bottom rear passenger side. Mechanic pressure tested the engine and said everything checks out ok. Oil pressure gauge reads 40-60 psi. I've run it over 1000 miles since the tick started and no change in performance, etc. Wouldn't an exhaust leak sound off all the time and not go away? I'm stumped...
Old September 25th, 2014 | 10:11 PM
Administrator

Exhaust leaks typically start being noticeable when the engine is cold and go away as the engine warms up. But over time they get worse and don't go away. They do sound like a ticking noise.
Old September 26th, 2014 | 9:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Must not be exhaust since it is silent when the engine is started cold and becomes noticeable after a few minutes. Then the ticking goes away at times when the engine is warmed up.

Quick Reply: 5.3L Intake Swirl Flaps