Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

7th or 8th Gen Suburban Mini Restoration

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2016, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7th or 8th Gen Suburban Mini Restoration

Hello all,
Our growing family has outgrown our minivan. Apparently 5 kids keep getting bigger and require more space. I'm looking to purchase a 7th or 8th gen Suburban. Naturally everyone that's available has nearly 200K miles. I'm willing to invest about 10K to make it my own and to make it bullet proof. What would you guys do with 10K to one of those? First thing would be engine and trans swap or rebuild both. I don't want a lift since it's mainly for the wife and kids. 7th gens are especially appealing to me due to the bench front seat and the look.
I don't have a lot of experience with Suburbans so I'm mainly looking for a list of priorities and problem areas you guys would address first.
Keep in mind I live in Smog **** California so the engine mods need to CA legal.
Not sure if it matters but I'm definitely looking at 2500 models for towing capacity.

Thanks!
Old February 9th, 2016, 1:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally, I'd stretch the budget and try to get into the GMT800 platform. Those trucks are good for 200k+, and you should be able to find one for $12k with a lot less than 200k miles on it. IMHO, the GMT800 3/4 ton trucks were the best Suburbans ever made by GM.

Not sure how the Califonia emission thing works in regards to buying out-of-state vehicles. If you're willing to travel a bit, you should be able to find a good deal, especially in the southern states.

ETA: Here's a perfect example. An '04 2500 with 123k for $10,900 in Utah. CLICK HERE

Last edited by intheburbs; February 9th, 2016 at 1:21 PM.
Old February 13th, 2016, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great. Thanks for the tips. Would you recommend the 7.4L or the 8.1L for those? Any potential issues with either.
Old February 13th, 2016, 7:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

7.4 is the 99 and older trucks. The 2000-2006 have either a 6.0 or the 8.1. Both are great motors, no issues. The 8.1s seem to command a premium and are rather rare. Just FYI - unlike the pickups, the 8.1 in the 2500 Burb does NOT have the Allison transmission; it's the 4L80.

Not many issues with those trucks - fuel pump, window regulators, A/C compressor/clutch, rust, that's about it. The A/C system has its own belt, so that helps a lot when something goes bad.