Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

90 Suburban and distributor problems

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2019, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Suburban and distributor problems

In the past 2 years I've burned through 4 distributors. We noticed that the problem starts with the rotor and progressively gets worse. This last time I replaced everything in April, and just the other day It wouldn't fire up for me while i was out grocery shopping. Got it home, we go through the simple checks, and since I've had the problem before, we check the distributor. We noticed the rotor was starting to burn through again.

Does anyone know why this happens so frequently?

Last edited by Nichole McGaughey; July 26th, 2019 at 8:20 AM.
Old July 26th, 2019, 8:22 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

what do you mean the rotor was starting to burn through? what brand parts are you using? what do you replace?
Old July 26th, 2019, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
what do you mean the rotor was starting to burn through? what brand parts are you using? what do you replace?
We get rotor burn, if your familiar with older chevys it was common in the old HEI's. We always use AC Delco. And what do you mean "what do I replace"?
Old July 26th, 2019, 9:43 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

when you replaced the rotor, did you replace the cap along with it or the whole distributor? im familiar with the old HEI's, have a few of the older trucks and two with the tbi units. i personally never had this issue even on my mud truck but thought this issue was kind of a deal with only the HEI not the TBI with a remote coil. as this was the result of arcing between the carbon button and rotor contact due to button wear. but the "burn through" was on the cap side not the rotor, granted you have to replace everything but ive never seen the rotor burn through and only get all arced up

Last edited by Irish_alley; July 26th, 2019 at 2:21 PM.
Old July 26th, 2019, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

When it was running right, I would just replace the cap and rotor, regular maintenance. But since I've been having this problem, I've been replacing the whole distributor. This last time though, my uncle swapped out rotors and it worked.

Last edited by Nichole McGaughey; July 26th, 2019 at 11:24 AM.