Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

96 Suburban - several issues please help!

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2015, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Suburban - several issues please help!

I just bought a 1996 Chevy Suburban, and the previous owner said he had just replaced the fuel pump and that the gauges were working fine before that. The temperature gauge is stuck all the way over past 260 and the fuel gauge is stuck below E. Also, it starts sputtering at 75 mph like a cylinder isn't firing right. The other night it actually died on me and wouldn't start back up. I called a tow truck to come get it and bring it back to my house and when I got back to my truck before the tow truck got there it started up again and I was able to drive it home. It took the tow truck about an hour to get there, so maybe it needed to cool down? The brake lights don't come on when the brakes are pressed but the running lights work. Any advice on what could be causing these issues?
Old January 17th, 2015, 11:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Hi!
If you are having problems with gauges not working and some lights aren't working, you might want to check ALL of the fuses (when the truck is off, of course).

On my 97 Silverado there is a fuse panel in the engine bay and inside.
In the engine bay it'll be obvious. Inside (if the suburban and the silverado have it in the same place) should be something like this.

Also, do you get check engine light ("service engine soon") or any codes using an OBD2 scanner? I recommend owning one but some auto parts stores will scan it for free. You can look up the codes online or post them here.

Edit: this is probably dumb, but have you checked the bulbs for your brake lights are installed and good?

Last edited by mistaake; January 17th, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old January 19th, 2015, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

I checked the fuses inside and they're all good. I checked the fuses under the hood and found out the brake light relay is missing so I'm pretty sure that's why my brake lights aren't working. I'm not getting a check engine light, but I am getting a check gauges light. Also, my turn signals aren't working. I checked the fuse for those and they're good. The previous owner said he replaced the turn signal switch, and said they worked after that, but now they're not working. The arrow inside the vehicle doesn't even light up. Maybe a wiring issue on that?
Old February 12th, 2015, 6:22 PM
CF Junior Member

seems you have a lot of cluster issues.
Take off the cluster and check the back of it. loose wires, grounds, etc.

switch it out perhaps with a new/used one .

the fuel gage is notorious on these to either dance or be stuck. I always went of miles driven...