Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

96 suburban Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2013, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 suburban Starting issues

I have a 1996 Chevy Suburban K1500 4x4 5.7L vortec. Recently i have had troubles starting it. It also stalls sometimes on the road. I have checked the fuel system, everything appears to be fine. I recently replaced the pump but i still checked the fuel pressure, look good. There is no check engine to give me any codes. I found a broken vacuum line, replaced, but not the problem. Now here is the weird thing. Sometimes it will start with ease but others it just cranks and cranks until it will kill the battery. I just noticed that when it was cranking this last time that my dash lights were not on. It was very weird. I tried it a couple more times. Then the lights came back and it fired up. This leads me to believe its a electrical problem. Also when my sister was driving it she said when she turn the left blinker on and pressed on the brake it stalled. She said that has happened a few times. So to me it doesn't seem like a coincidence. Now my guess is maybe the ignition switch but i am not sure. Has anybody seen this before? Thanks in advance for anything you guys got.
Old July 20th, 2013, 7:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the ignition switch is going out