Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

96 Tahoe dash guage/radio problems

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Tahoe dash guage/radio problems

I took my 96 Tahoe in and had the AC worked on and I got my ride back and the dash guage cluster is acting really weird. When I hit the brakes the tach and speed guage bounces all over the place. I have also noticed the radio doesn't have any sound. I have pulled the guage cluster out and put it back in thinking it might be loose but no luck. I have checked all the fuses and all are fine. I pulled the radio out and hard wired it to the battery and it works fine. It comes on and keeps the setting but no sound. Do the Tahoes have a factory amp that might have a blown fuse? All this worked fine before taking it in for the AC... the AC is working like a champ but now I have these other problems. Please help
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 96 Tahoe dash guage/radio problems

First off who did the A/C work and why not take it back to them and let them fix it! If not something has been giggled loose or disconnected. Just keep looking around under the dash to see if you can find the problem. Good luck.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 96 Tahoe dash guage/radio problems

That could be something in the computer. I would think the dash connection would be loose or dirty though. I don't know about the radio. Is the radio factory? If it is I know at least some of them have something that will turn it up as you gain speed. I would imagine the tach, speedo, and radio sound could all be connected by the computer. (if you have the factory radio.) I hate to tell you to have the computer checked though. I don't think taking it to Auto-Zone and having them check it would do anygood on this one. I would see first if the AC place will fix it, if not I would go to the dealership and see if the spedo, tach, and radio speed sensor are all connected in some way.
Good Luck.