Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 Burb A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2007, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Burb A/C issues

I have a 97 burb. With rear A/C. Both the front and back blow Cool. Currently here in Arizona its 115. A/c blows 65 ish. While driving on the freeway at 65. Sit at a stop light and it gets up to about 75 or so. I have attempted to add r 134 to the low side. The right port on the compressor. which is the larger of the tubes. This tube actually feels very cold to the touch. The other tube is extremely hot. I have added 3 12 ounce cans all upright, so im assuking its gas going in. The temp has dropped a bit. its comfortable i guess.... The fan is on high speed and the air coming out i THINK could be a bit higher in pressure. I have tested the blower motor and resistor and it all seems to be working fine. So its on high speed.

What is the proper way to add freon. Should the can be upside down or right side up. This past weekend i got bored and added a can upside down. It took literally a minute to empty the entire can. and then the AC blew warm the large tube got damp and warm. I dont have any accurate gauges, the one i have says its only accurate in ambient temps ranging form 75 to 85 degress and that aint happeneing in AZ. I recently had a 98 tahoe that had the same issue. I took it in and was told it was 3 pounds low. So i added 3 12 ounce cans and it worked greta. BUT i cant remember if i added it with the can upright or upside down. I think if its upright it is gas and its liquid if its upside down. Any info and or instructions is greatly appreciated as we have a new born and I want her to be comfy in this heat.
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 97 Burb A/C issues

LOL I'm laughing because we had the same problem with our 93 sub! I held the cans upside down and while it did take a little longer, we also found out that because you have both front and rear AC it takes longer to fill up the tanks! Neither of the tanks should feel warm. When they get full is when they start condensing really good. It's funny cause we're from Arizona as well and I know what you mean about those temps! What brand of coolant did you use? We went ahead and converted and it's not as hard as it sounds. We got the conversion kit from wal mart and we had to keep going back to get more cans of coolant!!! I think we used 4. Make sure that the truck is running and that you have the gadges set at max cooling. The kit came with a gage to let you know if you were in danger of breaking something. We also have theproblem with overheating really bad,more so when the Ac is on. Gets really bad sitting at a light towhere we have to shut off the ac. It's gotten so hot that we've had to speed to force air to cool it down. (Not recommending anything here!!!) Speeding is of your ownchoice!!! We had to add anexternal fan to help. Let me know how it goes and if you run into any other problems! Lord knows I've had my fair share with this truck! but you gottalove it!!
Old July 11th, 2007, 4:34 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't stress this enough, if you don't have the proper equipment and training the air-conditioning system is one item on your vehicle that is best left for the professionals to fix.

If you blindly add R134a the odds are much greater that you will cause more trouble then you will fix and still have to have the system repaired by a shop in the end.

When the outside temperatures rise into insane levels (115F as you mention) the A/C system will not be able to keep the cabin as comfortably cold as you may like or expect. If you get the vent temps down to 65F you are doing pretty good on some of the older R134a systems.
Old July 11th, 2007, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah i agree 65 isnt bad especially if its 115 outside. Im kinda just going off my 98 tahoe i had it would blow 45 non stop all day long. Same with my 2001 van. I have also notcied that the rear isnt as cold as the front. Im going to take it in and have a basic check done so at least they can tell me how much i am low, if any.
Old July 25th, 2010, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default answer to question

you should never turn can up side down when truck is running, you can turn can up side down when truck is off. when ccharging leave can right side up get a coffie can or what ever, fill with water and set can in water it will turn 134a in to gas and ram the 134a in. every few min pull can out of water and shake a little when your hands get cold put back into water.