Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 Suburban AC problem resolved: faulty high pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Suburban AC problem resolved: faulty high pressure switch

I'm posting in the hopes that this may help others with similar AC failure symptoms.

Two years ago I dropped the standard ~$1200 for an AC compressor replacement for my 97 1500. The "compressor kit" at the shop I used came with the standard orifice tube (which, aftermarket, includes a filter to minimize effects of a grenaded compressor), accumulator, and expansion valve ($680 for this kit, plus diag, refrigerant, and labor). There also ended up being a problem with the dash fan speed switch and I replaced that on my own. Twice now, in fact.

Recently the AC system has been blowing warm air, so I took the truck back to the same shop because the replaced AC components were covered under a 3 year 36k mile warranty. Their testing showed that the compressor was leaking and they replaced it (~1/4 lb low, visible dye), but that the real problem was a high pressure switch. It ends up that this switch, which runs $60-$70, is seated in the back of the compressor and communicates with the computer to identify if the compressor can/should be engaged. This is not the same as the high pressure release valve, which I think also connects to the back of the compressor.

I called around, and two of the dealership parts shops I spoke with indicated that this switch appeared to come with the standard OEM compressor kit ($540 for the "kit" from the dealership). The shop sales guy disagreed that the switch was included, as did the tech who did the work. The result was that they dropped the cost of THIS repair from the $212 they originally quoted to just their cost of the switch, which was $85 with tax. I still think there's something fishy, but didn't push any more.

I trust that this will help someone, either with diagnosing an AC problem or with dealing with a shop. Be sure to do your homework. I have an inherent distrust of most shops, though I expect that most are fully honest and above-board. I am fortunate to have a good friend who knows Suburbans and their problems, but even without this, use your phone and call around, check these and other forums, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

I'm not a mechanic even though I do as much work on my truck as I can, and I'm far from perfect, so please feel free to correct any misinformation I may have included.
Old May 20th, 2009, 3:21 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember you original post, Did you have to relieve the pressure before the switch was installed?
Old May 20th, 2009, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike. Actually this was my first post, but I did just read another post asking that question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer. Since the shop replaced the compressor, they had to evacuate the system anyway. I don't know if the presence of the o-ring on the switch is to keep stuff out, or to keep stuff in. Looking at the switch itself would lead me to conclude that it's in contact with the refrigerant, but I can't say for sure.
Old May 20th, 2009, 3:32 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O daa, sorry, Welcome to the forum! There was a guy that posted the same thing a few days ago and the repair was the same price, thats what threw me off.

Anyways thanks for posting that.
Old May 28th, 2009, 6:22 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum.