Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 Suburban Repaced EVO Sensor but unable to reconnect Steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2018, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Suburban Repaced EVO Sensor but unable to reconnect Steering shaft

I replaced my EVO sensor, however I am unable to reconnect my steering shafts. I’ve tried oiling the shafts, and fiddling it at different angles etc.
in order to get it apart, I had to wiggle it apart. Talk about a pain. Does anyone have any tips I can try? If it matters, the rubber piece in the fire wall has popped out and I have not put it back into its spot.
Old January 1st, 2019, 1:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by William Clayson
I replaced my EVO sensor, however I am unable to reconnect my steering shafts. I’ve tried oiling the shafts, and fiddling it at different angles etc.
in order to get it apart, I had to wiggle it apart. Talk about a pain. Does anyone have any tips I can try? If it matters, the rubber piece in the fire wall has popped out and I have not put it back into its spot.

Bit confused as I am not familiar with a Tahoe, but your steering gear and 4WD drive-shafts shouldn't nbe anywhere near your firewall. Do you mean your fenders?.

My mistake. You mean the steering shaft that goes to the steering wheel? No the first thing that must be done would be to remove that rubber cover so you can see exactly where your steering shaft should go into place. I am assumming since you have a 97 that we are dealing with a hydraulic power steerimng unit, or at least we should be.. I would use a product called Neverseize to align your splines. Its had at any automotive parts shop and it should help you out. Its not an oil, its a paste, dark colored.

You can buy a small tube of it. It should not take much, but I would remove the oil you have used beforehand as it not a petroleam product. This is made by Permatex and it looks like it has lead in it but it does not, its a highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants, but I would still make sure that you wash it off your hands or use those latex
gloves. Such things are good for worikng on vehicles, but not good for our human bodies.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; January 1st, 2019 at 2:14 AM.
Old January 1st, 2019, 4:59 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum William.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Bit confused as I am not familiar with a Tahoe, but your steering gear and 4WD drive-shafts shouldn't nbe anywhere near your firewall. Do you mean your fenders?.

My mistake. You mean the steering shaft that goes to the steering wheel? No the first thing that must be done would be to remove that rubber cover so you can see exactly where your steering shaft should go into place. I am assumming since you have a 97 that we are dealing with a hydraulic power steerimng unit, or at least we should be.. I would use a product called Neverseize to align your splines. Its had at any automotive parts shop and it should help you out. Its not an oil, its a paste, dark colored.

You can buy a small tube of it. It should not take much, but I would remove the oil you have used beforehand as it not a petroleam product. This is made by Permatex and it looks like it has lead in it but it does not, its a highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants, but I would still make sure that you wash it off your hands or use those latex
gloves. Such things are good for worikng on vehicles, but not good for our human bodies.
The steering shaft it’s self. Between the steering wheel and the fire wall, there is the EVO sensor. It’s supposed to send info to the computer to alter the power steering output. To get the sensor out, you need to separate the steering shaft. I will post a picture of it.
Old January 5th, 2019, 4:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by William Clayson

The steering shaft it’s self. Between the steering wheel and the fire wall, there is the EVO sensor. It’s supposed to send info to the computer to alter the power steering output. To get the sensor out, you need to separate the steering shaft. I will post a picture of it.

This is the EVO sensor on your Tahoe? Looks like a carriage bolt hold the shaft on from what I can see. EVO. Electronic Variable Orifice assisted power steering..

Old January 5th, 2019, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replacing that EVO !

Hey William!
How big of a job is it to change that EVO ?
My 98 Sub has had the steering jerkin weird movement on and off for some time. Thanks to this Forum I now know what causes this,so was thinking of calling the local Dealer and get price for this job or maybe try it myself. How'd it go for you ?
Any advice would be appreciated.