Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

98 tahoe electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2013, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 tahoe electrical problem

I got a 98 tahoe that has multiple electrical issues. I thought they could be somehow be connected. Sometimes the problems "fix" themselves, but they do stop working again. I will list the issues and maybe somebody can connect the dots for me.

My remote to lock/unlock the doors stopped working. I have put in a fresh set of batteries didnt help. The button in the doors still works on the locks.

My washer fluid pump intermittently works.

Driver side seat heater gets so hot on any setting it burns the skin. except when off.

I think its the door jamb light that comes on intermittently.

Could these issues be connected?
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:02 AM
CF Active Member

It sounds like you have as number of projects to work. Your problems share two things, they are all electrical and are a result of the age of the vehicle.

You will have to work through each project separately.

The keyless remote could be related to a fuse. You should check that first.

Check the wires on the washer pump, when you have someone press the switch. Check for power at the pump. if it works from time to time, it could be the pump, switch or wiring to the pump or switch failing.

The drivers side heated seat element is probably failing. You can get a new heating element from;

Auto Upholstery | Leather Seat Covers | 3rd Row Seats | Home page

You can can also try your local parts store or gmpartsdirect.com

The door jamb is probably a lose wire on the door switch or a short in the wire. You will have to check the door switch for the door that is causing the problem.

Good luck with your repairs.
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping they might all be grounded together or in the same general area. Sounds like it is going to take a lot of time My skills at wiring are great. tracking down the problem with my multimeter and circuit tester is going to be a slow learning experience for me.

Also my garage door openers seem like they are working (they blink when rest and set again.) but not sending the signal out or not accepting the right frequency.

Possible ecm issues? Can I test at the unit?

Thanks
Old March 30th, 2013, 1:07 PM
CF Active Member

With regard to your problems with the Chevrolet Home link system, have you tried clearing the codes on the system? To do this, press the two outside buttons. This is #1 and #3 at the same time and hold them until all three lights start to flash. Once they do, then try and see if you can program the first key. I would try that first before looking any deeper. it is possible that the home link system may be confused and need a reset.

Good luck with your repairs.