Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Fuel Pump Questions

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2008, 5:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Fuel Pump Questions

New to the forum, I just purchased a 99 burban, and I'm on my 3rd new silverado. My new to me burban has an issue with the fuel pump. The previous owner said he just had it replaced. The fuel pump runs constantly and is pretty loud. I assume this is not normal??? Is it possible that it was improperly installed? Or is this normal?? On all of my other Chevy's the fuel pump would turn off when pressurized. Any help would be appreciated.
I look forward to reading more and contributing to this forum.
Thanks,
Mike
Old March 27th, 2008, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 99 Fuel Pump Questions

It is not normal for the pump to be loud or run continuously. Being on the fourth fuel pump in our '99 Suburban I can assure that the pumps are virtually silent when new and progress to a noticeable whine as they get old. Did the previous owner provide any documentation for the replacement? If not, I suspect he may have been trying to assure you that this well know problem with these models had been attended to.
Old March 28th, 2008, 6:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply flycast. It sounds like I need to replace the fuel pump. Having gone through four of them yourself.... Is there one that seems to be better than the other? Have you tried both aftermarket and o.e.m.? Thanks again for your input
Old April 3rd, 2008, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 burban and the fuel pump whines loud. I have had it checked and systems go. This is not to say that it may leave me high and dry in the near future. I would have them check to see what kind of pressure itsputting out.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 7:32 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds when the key is initially turned to RUN, and then the fuel pump will run continuosly after the engine is started, this is normal.

A noisy fuel pump is not ideal but I have seen plenty of noisy ones last for years and years.
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

What ZX said is right, hopefully you do not run your gas below 1/4 tank, doing so causes
the fuel pump to get hot, and start making loud noises, as it begins to go south. This
has been a problem with many vehicles.

My wifes last Sub a 2000 model never had fuel pump problems, cause we rarely let fuel
go below 1/4 tank, and that was with over 100k miles.