Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 K1500 Sub, Front diff growl

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2009, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 K1500 Sub, Front diff growl

Guys, two years ago i bought a 99 sub with 180000 miles on it. It has a new tranny and rebuilt transfer case. when i got home i changed all fluids. The rear diff fluid was definatly old but looked to still be okay. The front diff however came out like clumpy chocolate milk. I did a few flush runs and everything seemed to be okay. After awhile the front pinion seal started leaking. i popped the nut off and replaced the seal. Unfortionally i didnt mark where the nut was so i have no idea how tight to put it back on there. I set it to 150 ft/lb hoping i would be close. I believe after this is when we started noticing the whining/ mild growling only on decent with or without the brakes on. If you just let off the gas while you were going down the road you would hear this. Well i figured that maybe i didnt get it tight enough so i bumped it up to 180 ft/lb. It seems to be getting worse and worse. do you guys think that just getting a new crush sheeve will do the trick? Or does it point to a bad bearing?. i dont know alot about diffs so any help will be appriciated.