Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 K1500 Suburban Shake

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2014, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 K1500 Suburban Shake

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help with the issue I have on my 99 k1500 Suburban that shakes like a mother at 68mph and up. Here's what my mechanic and I have done so far; Reman transfer case as the original had a bad bushing and bearing and damaged the slip yoke which has also been replaced, new shocks,driveshaft balanced, new u-joints, drove w/ front shaft out, and rear shaft out and still there. Also removed the cv shafts and disassembled to put the stubs in so it could be driven and still there, Tried different wheels and tires and still there. The A-pillars and dash shake bad and it's felt in the floor. The driveshaft in the rear was balanced. I am looking for anyone to give some help as to where to go, the trans and rear diff seem to be the only things left. Thank you for any help
Old March 30th, 2014, 7:23 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Have your wheels road force balanced.
Old March 30th, 2014, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Tried different wheels and tires to no avail. If you search for this online anywhere, there are a bunch of issues like this and only a couple of solutions which we have already eliminated as the cause. Apparently this is a common issue to this year.

Last edited by BigJohn; March 30th, 2014 at 9:00 PM.
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idler...tie rods...???
Old March 31st, 2014, 6:55 AM
CF Beginner

Good and good, but the shake is not felt in the steering at all. Just the floor a-pillars and dash. They shake quite bad and its enough where i refuse to drive anywhere that requires speeds of 70 which means no trips on the interstate.
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say get it up on a rack with someone in it, and do a test that way.
BE CAREFUL, you might need to use some chain to secure it in place.
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

We have driven it on jackstands with the frt shaft out and the only the thing we noticed is some noise from the rearend but the shake is not there as the load is gone. sounds like a carrier bearing making the noise.
Old April 4th, 2014, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

So the wife and I have decided to sell the truck sometime soon and buy something else. After spending 1500 dollars and me having spent so much time and my buddy as well, it's not worth it. I have looked online and there are many other people with the same issue on this truck and have not been able to fix it I cannot afford to keep pouring money into a truck thats 15 years old. I love the truck but at this point I am done.
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

John, I"m really sorry it didn't work out for you, and thank you for coming back and letting us know.

Good luck with your next purchase.
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

I may have jumped the gun, I had an opportunity to drive along side of my burb and watched as the shake was occurring at about 70mph and the right rear wheel appears to be shaking a bit and all else looks ok. You couldn't see this while running on the stands and lift as it is pretty slight. I will be ordering a new axle and for around a $120 it's worth it if I can keep my burb. I will let everyone know how this works out.

Quick Reply: 99 K1500 Suburban Shake