Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 K2500 454 7.4 L starting problem

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2018, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 K2500 454 7.4 L starting problem

Looking for some help here.

I've got a 99 burban that had sit for a year without being run. Before it was parked it had a leaking head gasket. When we started it up we had to jump it - obviously, but it started up fairly easily. On subsequent starts the engine would crank really hard as if the battery were dead, and then would suddenly start with large amounts of gray smoke. We figured the gasket was completely bad.

So, my son replaced the gaskets. Now we have an issue that is driving me nuts. Still getting the crank really hard issue as if the battery were dead, then a loud clang - a metalic sound - then the engine starts. Exhaust looks normal-ish - maybe a bit more white than usual. Feels to run fine. I do have a noisy lifter. I've readjusted the valves a number of times and ensured that they are torqued to spec.

I was thinking that maybe there's a lifter that is still off and getting stuck on the cam?

I'm not able to find much to help me diagnose the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 29th, 2018, 1:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the loud clang would be starter disengaging,rpm's just barely met,so resistance,too much fuel,kickback on starter?oil smell like gas?thin?a bit above full?
Old September 30th, 2018, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

The oil does have a bit of a gas smell to it. And it seems like the sound is definitely coming from the starter area now that I hear it from outside the car.
Old September 30th, 2018, 10:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Starter weak? sometimes they require so much energy,spark gets compromised so a bit of loading up with fuel?
Old October 1st, 2018, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

I wonder if the ground from the starter isn't completely tight. When we had everything apart to do the head gaskets we had to remove that ground and it is a PITA to get to to tighten. I'll give that a try this evening. The starter itself is only two years old, so I'd hope it wasn't the starter itself, but after sitting it could be.
Old October 1st, 2018, 11:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Definitely worth a look,might see some color change on it,showing up as a hot spot,weak connection