Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban - Battery discharges after a few days

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2011, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 Suburban - Battery discharges after a few days

When I bought this vehicle new, the dealer had installed a remote start/anti-theft device in it (Code 300 Alarm system).
Beginning about five years ago, occasionally I'd find that the battery had discharged when it was sitting for a few days.
I immediately suspected the the Remote Start was the cause, and would charge the battery and re-set the system by disconnecting the battery and turning it on and off.
This seemed to do the trick and the problem did not re-occur for months or a year or so.
That trick no longer works, and whenever I don't drive if for several days (2-3 or more) The battery leaks down again.
The Battery is new, 2-3 months, and I've had the cells checked, so the battery is healthy.
In addition, the voltmeter shows 14plus when driving.
It also has a trailer brake module installed by a third party, but I still suspect the alarm.
Taking it to the dealer resulted in "Yeah, the battery cable terminals were corroded so I cleaned 'em off."
And, of course, same problem again.

So, I have decided to locate the problem myself by checking for current when it's sitting.
In installing the alarm system, they added a second battery cable.

MY Question: Does anyone know what amperage I should see under normal circumstances with the ignition off?

Also, any comments or other things to check are welcome.
Old October 27th, 2011, 1:47 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

check your vanity mirrors and make sure they are not on all the time, after a while the plastic decays and the cover will come off and the light switch will stay on...
Check the glove box for a lamp that may also be on...
Check the under hood lamp

Try removing fuses a few at a time and see if you can isolate a particular circuit that may be the cause...
Old October 27th, 2011, 2:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...

check your vanity mirrors and make sure they are not on all the time, after a while the plastic decays and the cover will come off and the light switch will stay on...
Check the glove box for a lamp that may also be on...
Check the under hood lamp

Try removing fuses a few at a time and see if you can isolate a particular circuit that may be the cause...
With a volt meter on the battery. Your non running current draw is in the milliamp range i.e radio, clock. I'd suggest one at a time pull fuse, watch the vom for voltage stop, or raise. That will be your culprit (or at least one).
Old October 28th, 2011, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions! I've found from several other sources saying that the normal current drain should be from 15 to 30 miliamps. With that in mind, I'll do the fuse pulling routine. Thanks again.
Old October 28th, 2011, 1:34 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Just curious as to what your current draw is before you started troubleshooting the problem.
Old October 28th, 2011, 2:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

My son had a 99 DOdge Dakota with issues, 2-3 days dead battery. Turned out the dome light had a short in it. Not enough to light it, but drew the battery down.
Old October 29th, 2011, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

73shark:
I don't know what it is now, because I've been driving it every day, and haven't had the chance to check it out. But I will today (If it stops raining/snowing) or tomorrow. I'll put an ammeter in-line and start pulling fuses.
I will certainly post the results.
Thanks for all the help!
Old October 29th, 2011, 5:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I'd pull the courtesy light fuse first after you turn it off. My courtesy lights were coming on by themselves due to a short way up behind the instrument panel. They would also come on every now and then while driving.
Also, check the map lights in the passenger area to see if they are left on. My kids love to leave those on and you don't notice it since they come on when you open the doors and stay on for 90 seconds when you close them.

Good luck.
Old October 30th, 2011, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

No progress yesterday. Snowed like crazy and the power went out. Supposed to come back on at 8:30 pm. Right. 4kw generator gets lousy gas mileage.
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by John Morrison
No progress yesterday. Snowed like crazy and the power went out. Supposed to come back on at 8:30 pm. Right. 4kw generator gets lousy gas mileage.
Consider converting it to propane...mpg won't be any better but you can pick up propane at your local grocery store convenient store ...

Quick Reply: 99 Suburban - Battery discharges after a few days