Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban coolant leak by exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2020, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Suburban coolant leak by exhaust

New to the forum, trying to figure out exactly what I need to look for to repair my truck.
I've got a 1999 Suburban 1500 5.7 with rear heat/air. I've had a coolant leak back by the exhaust, and I found the hose where it's leaking but I can't figure out the exact thing I'm looking to buy. Seems like it has a quick connect? I've attached a couple of pictures, one with the covering on, and another where I peeled off the cover.

Any ideas?

Old May 9th, 2020, 2:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mc304
New to the forum, trying to figure out exactly what I need to look for to repair my truck.
I've got a 1999 Suburban 1500 5.7 with rear heat/air. I've had a coolant leak back by the exhaust, and I found the hose where it's leaking but I can't figure out the exact thing I'm looking to buy. Seems like it has a quick connect? I've attached a couple of pictures, one with the covering on, and another where I peeled off the cover.

Any ideas?

I'd cut it off the steel line, and replace with heater hose, and clamp.
Old May 10th, 2020, 11:27 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

First of all, what terrible engineering, horrendous sharp curve in that hose !!!

I had similar go bad on my 1994 Suburban we formerly had. Yes, going into the body is a quick-connect, plastic fitting. But one can typically use a hose and regular hose clamp there, either on the hose stub or on a new quick-connect fitting. Anyway, such new quick-disconnects are not expensive, typically an inexpensive plastic tool from the parts store is needed to release those. See https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ect+tool&pos=6 I bought the green one separately for the heater connections for my 2005 Yukon under the hood at the firewall.

The connection under the cracked rubber sleeve is more troubling. Can you use a wire brush on a drill to clean that up for a better photo? Because maybe a simple hose clamp will work there. You'll need to ask the guy at the parts store to look through his stuff and find a small U-shaped piece of pre-curved heater hose to fit there, you can't just bend a piece of straight hose, likely would kink. If need be, a piece of a pre-curved hose could be cut from a larger specialty hose.

Someone here will have access to GM parts diagrams and know what the real GM part looks like. But I imagine that would be a long and expensive line, even if available still.

See https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...ter-hose-leak/
https://www.gmtruckclub.com/threads/...392977&slide=7

My guess is that your favorite independent ASE certified repair shop could fix this.

Old May 10th, 2020, 8:09 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

You could put a spring inside the hose like the lower radiator hose does and that will prevent it from kicking. Of course you have to find the right size spring.