Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Yukon AC Leak - How can I find it???

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Yukon AC Leak - How can I find it???

I have a 99 GMC Yukon SLE 4WD 350 vortec. The guy I bought it off of said he would charge the ac & it would last all summer - WRONG. I put 3 cans in it. After a couple days it wasn't cold anymore. I put 2 cans of Artic Freeze Stop Leak & 2 cans of refridge & again after a couple days it was no longer cold. Is there anyway I can find the leak myself or does anyone have any ideals where it's leaking from?
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:11 AM
CF Senior Member

i've had good luck with the Fluorescent dye's and a black lite sometime the leak is so bad you can see it with out the black lite keep an eye on the evaperator drains sometimes it's bad enouph that you see it come out of the drains telling you its a evaperator leak

Do you have dual air?

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old September 21st, 2011, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Do you know where I could get the fluorescent dye from? And yes it does have dual air, why does that make a drifference?
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They also make a "Sniffer", that you screw onto a Propane Bottle. Light it up, and it has a flexible tube, that you hold near the connections or clutch, and it changes color when it detects Freon.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM
CF Senior Member

auto parts stores,walmart sell it in a can just like the freon, the dual air just has more connections to look at that run to the back

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation

okay here we go again.
Sir do you have your Doctor work on the roof.Or the plumber treat you when you have a sore throat..? NO!..there are just times when adding freon is a bad idea unless you know to the ounce how much the system already has in it and all the hi pressure and low pressure switch's and safe guards are working properly so you don't cause a huge amount of damage.

Take it to a shop have it recharged and asked for dye to be placed in the system,you will have air for a short time and as the freon escapes the air will stop working.

Go back to said shop and the will take a UV light and look and find the leak,if you want to attempt the work yourself or have your doctor come by and help so be it.OR you could let the people who know what they are doing make the repair properly.

I run shops and earlier this year when the heat was horrific we had a lady come in with an 05' Sable and a hole in here compressor the size of a quarter because just the day prior..her 'car' guy a nephew put 3 cans of freon in it 36oz the whole system holds 28oz and her issue wasn't low freon but an AC control module..so the high pressure pop off valve on her compressor failed to vent when pressure went up and she did 1700.00 dollars worth of damage not counting the module 210.00 installed.