Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

ac not working

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2016, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac not working

The ac has stopped working in our Tahoe. The dash controls work and act like they should. Have checked it out and it is not getting power to fuse # 17,for the ac clutch. I have jumped it with 12 volts to the right side of the fuse and it will work fine, does want to freeze up when thaws out it will go back to working right, just don't like to jump it like that, afraid might do more damage. I think it is not getting a ground to the relay. I put in a new fuses box in it after ruining the original one by too much force on the fuses checking it out. Now that winter is just around the corner may not need it as much but need to get it to cycle with the defroster. Forgot to mention that this a 2008 Tahoe.
Thanks Dan

Last edited by sst37chevy; April 4th, 2016 at 7:41 AM.
Old April 4th, 2016, 8:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The "A/C CMPRSR" relay supplies power to the fuse. The relay is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM).
Some ideas as to why the relay is not energizing:
Low Freon (could also explain the freezing-up),
The A/C Low Pressure Switch malfunctioning,
The A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor malfunctioning,
Bad ECM,
Corroded connectors or wiring issues.
Old April 4th, 2016, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

I think the freezing up is caused by the ac being jumped to power when I do that, then it doesn't cycle the compressor. Have tried to jump the two switches with no luck on that. I am afraid it might be the ecm, with no one close to reflash a new one if I replace it will it start and run if it is programmed to our vin. Thanks Dan
Old April 5th, 2016, 9:59 PM
CF Veteran

so you unplugged the low pressure switch and jumped the connector with no change? Have you tried swapping relays? Do you have a multimeter? I usually start out by getting pressure readings and checking the refrigerant charge but if you don't have access to tools for that its tough to get a baseline.