Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Add flip-down DVD to 2013 Tahoe LTZ?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2014, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Add flip-down DVD to 2013 Tahoe LTZ?

Hey everyone - been looking to upgrade to a newer Tahoe. Finally found something close to what I want (2013 Tahoe LTZ), but I'm left without the rear entertainment system. It's got the Bose sound system and the navigation, but no DVD So... my question to the experts out there is,

1) can you purchase the factory-installed Panasonic unit somewhere online
2) is it a royal pain to install / have installed, and
3) how will it integrate with the head unit in the dash (aka, will it work like a Tahoe that came with the DVD installed in the factory)?

Any help, pointers, anything I've missed here that I should know - I'd love to hear what you all have to say! Thanks for any help you can provide me!
Old February 23rd, 2014, 9:38 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Probably be easier to install a self-contained DVD system. At least that's what we did in my wife's new Sequoia.

But it doesn't hurt to check w/ your dealer as they may have a good aftermarket installer that could do it.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your quick reply! That's what I'm thinking my fallback would be. Ideally, I want the integration to be as tight as possible with the stereo system and the navi/entertainment screen up front, hence the desire to go with the factory stuff, if possible. Although, I'm sure for the right money, there's some aftermarket stuff out there that probably works pretty good too.
Old February 24th, 2014, 8:58 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you already are getting an ltz and if it has nav it would be pre-wired and installation should be a breeze. You should be able to install the factory Panasonic unit and control it from the factory nav unit. Also if you put a DVD in the head unit the DVD button should activate and you can play movies in the head unit while in park. Either way if you can play movies in the head unit. You should be able to run a/v cables from the back of the head unit to the new screen (whichever brand you decide to go with). Then all you would need is a power source connected with a remote wire to the DVD function from the head unit so the new screen powers on when you put in a DVD.

Last edited by trainwreck91; February 24th, 2014 at 9:05 AM.