Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Adding LTZ options to a LT model?

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2012, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding LTZ options to a LT model?

I have a 2012 LT Suburban. There are a couple options that come on the LTZ model that I was wondering if I could install myself...

Can I swap out the side view mirrors with the mirrors that have the turn signal? Or in other words, does the wiring harness that is in the door of the LT model have the ability to send the turn signal to a replacement mirror?

Can I change the lift gate to the automatic/motorized version?

If these options can be installed I would like to do it myself. Or is it too difficult to add them to a LT model?
The following users liked this post:
Hollaway24 (January 23rd, 2022)
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum

You can add many of the LTZ options to your LT like the mirrors, however they may need programming from the dealer to be enabled... not all do but some like the power folding option, the signal mirrors may work without programming as most of the wire harnesses are the same...

As for the power lift gate... that has been discussed in previous post and the consensus is.... maybe but not likely. That is one of those options that is best purchased with the vehicle....

GM Parts Direct has been a pretty good source for factory parts and accessories ...
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I have found some other posts about the lift gate. Sounds like a big deal. So i will forget that idea.

I just upgraded from a 1999 suburban to 2012. On the 1999 car i recently had to install new side view mirrors (one was hit by a car and the other one was broken). The mirrors were very inexpensive (1AAAutoparts or something). So if replacing the 2012 mirrors is similar to the 1999 way than its not that big of a deal to do it particularly with the nice wiring harness.

So, with my new 2012 i really wish i had the signal on the mirror and would also like to have the automatic fold feature (since i lost them to side swiping on my last car!).

Seems to be this item on GMC direct:
"mirror assy w/power folding, w/turn signal, chrome Right"

For some reason the left and right are different prices 160 and 220. Go figure. What would need to be programmed at the dealer? The fold feature? Or the signal? Any way I can do it? I try to avoid the dealer if possible.
Old December 11th, 2012, 9:12 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

GM has a strange pricing policy. Recently got an Esky rack and the right and left sides were several dollars different. They're identical except for being R and L. My parts guy said that happens all of the time.

Like in2pro said anything's possible given enuf time and money but the power liftgate would not be economically feasible. Better to just get an LT w/ it or an LTZ.
Old December 12th, 2012, 1:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to the forum, windrock, and congratulations on your new Suburban!

We can't advise on do-it-yourself questions, but if you do have any questions about warranty or recall information, the operation of the features on your new vehicle, or assistance in the process of working with a dealership, please let us know!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
Old December 15th, 2012, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power folding mirrors with the turn signal are not cheap $600 from the dealer. Think around 300 from gmpartsdirect. Just had the dealer replace one on my ltz yesterday thanks to some careless sob at the store who smashed my mirror!
Dan
Old December 17th, 2012, 5:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
GM has a strange pricing policy. Recently got an Esky rack and the right and left sides were several dollars different. They're identical except for being R and L. My parts guy said that happens all of the time.

Like in2pro said anything's possible given enuf time and money but the power liftgate would not be economically feasible. Better to just get an LT w/ it or an LTZ.
price difference might also be for the dimming feature thats on the drivers side only... my 01 DS mirror would dim like the rear view mirror...

:chug: