Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AFM Lifter replacement

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2016, 8:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFM Lifter replacement

I have a 2007 Chevy suburban LT Z. I was driving home on the freeway and the engine suddenly started tapping. My oil pressure was fine and my oil level was fine so I took it into a mechanic to get it diagnosed.

The mechanic determined that a lifter on the number seven piston has "collapsed".

I assume that I am not the first one to ask questions on how to remove the cylinder head and change the lifters. Can anyone direct me to a good thread regarding how to do this? Or maybe there is a better solution…

Last edited by Davpmars; March 15th, 2016 at 3:25 PM.
Old March 16th, 2016, 2:56 PM
CF Active Member

Happened to me years ago.....you may have a bigger problem on your hands than just replacing the lifters. When mine collapsed, it jacked up the cam as well and that had to be replaced. Was covered under warranty but would have been a $5,000 bill. Good luck
Old March 17th, 2016, 2:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks,

If I have to replace my cam, I am going away from this AFM crap.

Summit sells a kit and cam that changes the engine back to a traditional style engine. I hope it doesn't come to that but it may
Old March 17th, 2016, 2:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davpmars
Thanks,

If I have to replace my cam, I am going away from this AFM crap.

Summit sells a kit and cam that changes the engine back to a traditional style engine. I hope it doesn't come to that but it may

You must flush the heck out of your motor! those fine cam shavings and follower shavings will be its death