Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Alarm goes off (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/alarm-goes-off-67379/)

RachelJWalker August 14th, 2014 11:16 PM

Alarm goes off

Ok I just bought this Tahoe it came with one key and this key has no chip not sure if I need a key with a chip or not and I dont have the key fob entry. I lock the doors and everytime I put the key in the door to unlock it and open the door the alarm goes off. What are my options Thank you

intheburbs August 15th, 2014 8:39 AM

What year Tahoe? I'm assuming 2007 or newer because I'm pretty sure using the key to unlock the door would disarm the alarm on the 2006 and older trucks.

You need to get a key fob to remotely unlock the truck. Go to the dealership just to get the part number. They'll want some ungodly amount for the remote. Once you have the part number, go onto eBay or other online seller and buy a remote for $20 or so. If it were me, I'd buy 2. A quick scan on eBay and I see I can buy 2 remotes for my 08 Suburban for $22-$23 with free shipping.

Once you have that, you should be able to program the truck using the DIC to the new remote(s).

callmeguilty August 15th, 2014 10:55 AM

Hi RacheJWalker,

I was able to take my 1999 Buick LeSabre remote and reprogram it for my 1999 Chevy Blazer. The procedure to do so was like putting in cheats on a playstation game controller; turn key to on position, hold lock button down for five seconds, wait for the chime, wait for doors to unlock, then press remote lock button twice... etc...

Initially the remote would unlock my doors AND activate position 1 on the memory seat, lol.

Anyhow, any GM brand used to work, but I'd make sure your make and model are specified.

RachelJWalker August 16th, 2014 10:23 PM

Thank you both I did go get some remotes and it does work good but just today the door/ alarm worked just as it should so I locked it again and I put the key in and unlocked it opened the door the alarm went off so something is intermittent works some times and sometimes it wont.

intheburbs August 17th, 2014 12:38 AM

Using the key to unlock the door will set off the alarm.

Using the remote to unlock the door will not set off the alarm.

Chevrolet Customer Service August 18th, 2014 7:54 AM

Hello RachelJWalker,

Are you continuing to experience this issue? Can I be of any assistance? As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. feel free to private message me if you have any lingering questions or concerns.

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care

RachelJWalker August 18th, 2014 11:10 PM

problem solved

In the Back hatch there is the glass hatch and the big hatch there is a rod from the push button latch that had come off keeping the big hatch in the unlock position confusing the security system. Thank you all so much