Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Alarm goes off

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2014, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm goes off

Ok I just bought this Tahoe it came with one key and this key has no chip not sure if I need a key with a chip or not and I dont have the key fob entry. I lock the doors and everytime I put the key in the door to unlock it and open the door the alarm goes off. What are my options Thank you
Old August 15th, 2014, 8:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

What year Tahoe? I'm assuming 2007 or newer because I'm pretty sure using the key to unlock the door would disarm the alarm on the 2006 and older trucks.

You need to get a key fob to remotely unlock the truck. Go to the dealership just to get the part number. They'll want some ungodly amount for the remote. Once you have the part number, go onto eBay or other online seller and buy a remote for $20 or so. If it were me, I'd buy 2. A quick scan on eBay and I see I can buy 2 remotes for my 08 Suburban for $22-$23 with free shipping.

Once you have that, you should be able to program the truck using the DIC to the new remote(s).
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Hi RacheJWalker,

I was able to take my 1999 Buick LeSabre remote and reprogram it for my 1999 Chevy Blazer. The procedure to do so was like putting in cheats on a playstation game controller; turn key to on position, hold lock button down for five seconds, wait for the chime, wait for doors to unlock, then press remote lock button twice... etc...

Initially the remote would unlock my doors AND activate position 1 on the memory seat, lol.

Anyhow, any GM brand used to work, but I'd make sure your make and model are specified.
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you both I did go get some remotes and it does work good but just today the door/ alarm worked just as it should so I locked it again and I put the key in and unlocked it opened the door the alarm went off so something is intermittent works some times and sometimes it wont.
Old August 17th, 2014, 12:38 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Using the key to unlock the door will set off the alarm.

Using the remote to unlock the door will not set off the alarm.
Old August 18th, 2014, 7:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello RachelJWalker,

Are you continuing to experience this issue? Can I be of any assistance? As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. feel free to private message me if you have any lingering questions or concerns.

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default problem solved

In the Back hatch there is the glass hatch and the big hatch there is a rod from the push button latch that had come off keeping the big hatch in the unlock position confusing the security system. Thank you all so much