Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

All 4 seat heaters turn on and stay on but don't heat

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2016, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All 4 seat heaters turn on and stay on but don't heat

I just bought a 2010 Suburban LTZ and didn't realize until I got home that none of the seat heaters work. The door switches in front light up and stay lit but neither the backs or bottoms warm. Back seats are the same, they turn on and stay on but never get warm. Searching this forum I find a lot of stuff on what to do if an element is burnt out or if your door switch turns on and then off again but I haven't found this problem. Does anyone know what is going on or how to fix it? The fuses are all good. My assumption is that it's not the elements because all 6 (2 backs and 4 bottoms) are inoperative.

My suburban has the heated and cooled seats if it matters. The cooled part turns on but doesn't do anything as well.

Last edited by just4plaay; March 2nd, 2016 at 8:35 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 6:32 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Probably a control module. Everything on these trucks is controlled by a computer on a CAN bus.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 7:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

under the passenger front seat at the rear of the seat there is a connector that should have a black plastic cover over it, I would start but unplugging that connector and looking at all the terminals. I have seen a lot of burnt terminals on that connector which takes out all the heated seats for the front. Most issues I find if both front seats don't work is in that connector or a burnt terminal in the module connector
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

you can also ohm check the seat heater elements while your in there to see if they are open.
the heated seat modules have full diagnostic capability so will set and store dtc. they may also shut down if they detect shorts or opens.

I seen a few short and charr the seat foam