Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Alternators on 07 Suburbans/Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2007, 3:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternators on 07 Suburbans/Tahoe

I have an 07 LT Suburban, which I believe has the 160amp alternator. I want to run a dual alternator system for my truck because I'm about to install a hi-powered audio system in the truck. We're talking well over 4k watts. So what I want to know is how can I setup a dual 200 to 300amp alternator setup that will not kill my warranty? If there is no way to do that then is there a way I can get a 300 to 400amp single alternator that will work with the 07?
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Alternators on 07 Suburbans/Tahoe

Bump. I know I'm not the only one here who's asked about doing a dual alternator setup for their truck. What about using an alternator from a Chevy based Ambulance? Do the new Chevy Express vans have bigger alternators that the 160amp that I have now? Or do they come with a dual alternator setup?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Have you considered putting a second battery in the left front corner? There's a thread on this forum that discusses that.
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Shark,
I have a second battery setup planned as well. The thing is that the amplifers that I will be running for the stereo along at full till will pull close to 500amp and I know my single 160amp alternator will not be enough to keep up, with that and still charge the two batteries and my normal electronics (i.e. wipers, heater/ac, and lights). I also plan on installing a carpc and maybe two headreast monitors. So I'm gonna need a good electrical charging systems in order to make this happen. I'm searching all the alternator companies that I can think of to see if anyone has a single or dual alternator solutions that will help me out without killing my warranty.

It would be really great if GM just made a good 300 -500amp alternator that I could us for my truck. But even their Express vans that they use for ambulances run dual 145amp alternators, which is still not breaking the 300amp barrier.
Old November 4th, 2007, 9:36 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Man, that's a ton of power. Might as well just get a little Honda 5KW generator and mount on the hitch receiver. jk
Old November 24th, 2007, 6:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Okay how about this question, has anyone here ran an aftermarket alternator on their 2007? I'm thinking of going with this guy here for my alternator needs however I would like to get some feedback from people who have ran this company's product before.

Name:  BusinessCard_5.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  90.2 KB
Old May 10th, 2008, 8:18 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm gonna bump this post back up cause now I have the money to do this and really need to find out if some here has done this type of upgrade on their 07/08 Tahoe or Suburban.

HELP!
Old May 10th, 2008, 5:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Try contacting this company and see what they do to their Tahoe's for more power....I'm sure they needed it for the communication equipment, lights, etc.
http://www.odysseyauto.com/vehicles/...hoe_index.html
Old May 10th, 2008, 9:46 PM
CF Active Member

pervitizm - just as fyi, the area code listed in the iraggi alternator adis local to my area and I have never heard of these guys. Car-tronics is a fave of the local bumpers.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

mary900
As for Iraggi's he's very well know in the car audio realm. It just I've never seen one of his alts on anyof the new trucks, but his stuff is on a lot of the older model tahoe/suburbans/Yukons. Guy named Steve Meade is running 4 of his alternators on his 01 tahoe. This probably wouldn't be too much of a hassle if I didn't have one of the new style trucks with the updated ECU. Not to mention that Dom Iraggi is very very hard to get a hold of. I emailed the guy and it took him about two weeks to respond back to me. So I know that customer service might be an issue if were to go with his alts in case an issue arised.

ncfr2544
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can get in contact with this company. I was looking on there site and I notice that a lot of the trucks just had bigger single alternator setups. But hey it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quick Reply: Alternators on 07 Suburbans/Tahoe