Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Amsoil Products

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2016, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil Products

So I own a 2003 Quadrasteer Suburban with the 6.0L it is a 4x4. She runs fine and is about to turn 200,000 miles.

I want to keep her going for a LONG LONG time.

I am regular with the standard oil changes and greasing, my questions are these:

Will going synthetic on my oils and gear lubes hurt anything at this point?

Is Amsoil a good product to run with in all my systems, engine, axels, transmission and transfercase, coolant etc...?

Thanks for any input...
Old February 3rd, 2016, 7:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Amsoil makes great stuff. Many folks think it's the BEST stuff.

The only knock on switching to synthetic is that the extra additives/detergents might knock some gunk looks and cause leaks. I switched to synthetic on all three of my trucks, when they were between 70k and 100k miles. No issues. My '01 Burb is up to 220k on the original engine, and she still purrs like a kitten.

The flip side is that as long as you maintain recommended oil change intervals, you'd be fine sticking with conventional oil as well. If you really want to OD on information, head on over to Bob is the oil guy.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

From what I've seen and heard, they make a really good product. My 97 Honda CRV is over 208k miles, original engine, I just switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and what a difference. It has never run this quite before and my Tahoe is close to 190k, and I'm ready to switch it also. JMHO and good luck.
David g.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 9:33 PM
CF Veteran

the main thing to think about with synthetics is the molecules are smaller so if you have seals or gaskets that aren't holding as tight as they should they'd be more likely to leak