Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Anti-lock and Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2006, 3:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-lock and Brake Light Problem

Please help, as I am leaving on a long trip on Thursday.

After driving my 01 Tahoe for a minute or two, both the amber anti-lock, and the red brake light come on, at the same time.

They stay on the whole time until i turn the vehicle off.

When restarted, they stay off for a minute or so, and then come on again?

The dealer said it was some kind of ground bolt, and wanted $100.00 bucks to special order this bolt?

How can the ground be good when the vehicle is first started, and then get bad a minute or so later? I can duplicate this problem over and over.

This has been an ongoing problem for a couple of months, and I am going on a trip, and do NOT want to stare at those lights the whole time.

The anti-lock brakes work just fine, and I just installed ceramic pads and fresh rotors on all 4 wheels.

I hope someone here will know the answer.

Thanks in advance.
Old June 17th, 2006, 8:42 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: Anti-lock and Brake Light Problem

Did you bleed the brakes after the rotor/pad change? Although I've never bleed an ABS system, I read where it's more involved than regular brakes.
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
CF Active Member

the problem with the ground is that they sprayed undercoat on the frame and then put the ground and bolt to it. the reason that this causes the problem is that over time water got in the treads of the bolt and caused a resistance so that the wire is not grounded through the bolt properly anymore. the bolt is on the driver's side, right behind the front tire if you look under neath where the motor mount is there. you need to remove the bolt and sand down the undercoat and put a bolt with a star washer on it and a nut on the other side.. .. the reason this would make the light not go on for a few is that the system it running it's checks and then finally finds a problem.. . although there is most likely a bigger problem, the dealer should check the damn codes and diagnose the system before telling you it's just the damn bolt. if it takes a minute, it could most likely be a bad wheel speed sensor, vehicle mositors the sensors and after one fails for a certain amount of time, the light sets.. also check you brake fluid level.
were the lights on before you changed the brakes?, if not first remove the cap and if the rubber piece is pulled down from the cap, push it back into the cap. make sure the fluid level is proper. and hopefully you didn't demage one of the sensors at the wheels. you don't have to bleeds the brakes if you just did the pads and rotors.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

please let me know if you find an answer to this problem, because im having the same problem with my 1995 montecarlo, thank you