Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Anyone know of a good source for suspension kits for a Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2011, 1:17 PM
dh1
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know of a good source for suspension kits for a Suburban?

My 2002 just went past 118K and I had to replace one of the wheel bearings. While doing the work, I noticed the shocks, ball joints, links, tie-rods, etc...were all original. The shocks are definitely worn out, and a couple of the ball joints are gone as well.

I would like to renew all of the wear items in the suspension before it gets too snowy here.

Any suggestions for parts? brands to buy, or avoid....good source? I've done this job twice in the past on other cars, and was able to buy a pre-packaged kit with all the parts in a "bundled" price. Does such a thing exist for GM trucks?

This is a 2002 Suburban 1500 4WD with the standard (non-autoride or nivomat) suspension.
Old December 9th, 2011, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check ebay. I know you can buy tie rod ends and control arm bushing "kits" But I have no idea on quality. I dont know if they are Moog or just china stuff. But I saw a kit for my 95 burban and it was like 115 bucks for pitman arms, tie rod ends , idler arm and I think control arm bushings.
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get china brand parts for this truck you will be sorry, or will you have to this again in one year or less.

Use original moog or spicer parts. Rock Auto is a good place, very good prices. The board might have a discount for parts at Rock Auto. 'I'm sure they do. also check Amazon. I really doubt you can pull the lower ball joinst yourself on this truck. even with the proper tool. They are pressed in from the factory, so are the upper joints. you have to remove the lower and upper control arms completely if taking to a shop . Take it from from me I just did mine on my 01 2500. A a pain in the butt. I had to remove the upper and lowers arms as well as pull the torsion bars. The uppers are easy with a ball joint puller. the lowers will have to be pressed out and in by hydro press. In any case take this to a shop to have the lowers done. if you have a spring front suspension you will have to drill out the factory rivets, then press out the joint. Take the lowers to a shop if you can, it will be well worth it. it cost me 20 bucks for both lowers for press out and press in, then I installed the lower control arm myself. I did a complete job on my front end including the bushings, tie rods, pitman , idler , bearing, brakes. etc.

Also get some new bushing for your tension bar in the front, your going to have to take it down this far anyway. so do it right the first time. you will also have to remove your bearings and front axles when removing the control arms. if your pressed for time. take it to shop and have the uppers and lower ball joints replaced. then do the rest yourself.

This job is not as easy as you think. Gm trucks are nothing like pulling ball joints on a car.

Last edited by NMguy; December 12th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.