Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Asking for advice about an 86 silverado suburban timing chain slip.

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2021, 10:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Timing gasket ( pan on trick)

For those like me that might need advice on installing a timing cover to pan horseshoe gasket etc without removing the pan, this guys advice seems pretty savvy.

He states, you loosen first 4 front oil pan bolts on each side , glue rubber gasket to cover, rtv the installed flat upper gasket and corners where rubber gasket meet the other , then put a little grease on the radius area where pan slides over pan lip where gasket meets pan, ( but NOT ON CORNERS WHERE RTV SEALS) he states a little grease helps it slip on in, but you use two screwdrivers at the corners only to raise it about a 16th of an inch , not bending pan, but allowing clearance to slowly tap it in place using a piece of wood a little at a time ,and a few of the top covet bolts. Watch his video , then you can add a little RTV on pan corners to seal it up prior to re-tightening pan bolts , without removing pan...unless you have a bad pan gasket. I have not tried this trick yet, but thought I would maybe save others time explaining it, ( like anybody would bother) ? Maybe this will help someone in the future ? Who knows.
I will report what I did after job is done regarding the whole job, as to what I finally did, or did not do, regardless of my babbling + yammering on.
Old October 12th, 2021, 10:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Here is a link to an Amazon Fel-Pro timing chain gasket set. If you use an RTV sealant please only use a very light coating, else the gasket will slip out somewhere. Tighten it down slowly as that will help ensure that the gasket doesn't slip out. Best of luck to you!

https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-TCS45121-TC-Gasket-Set/dp/B000C2EF6G/ref=sr_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&dchild=1&qid=1634095795&s=automotive&sr=1-1&vehicle=1986-47-427-439--9-8-7-1364-491-8-2--95-&vehicleName=1986+Chevrolet+C20+Suburban https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-TCS45121-TC-Gasket-Set/dp/B000C2EF6G/ref=sr_1_1?_encoding=UTF8&dchild=1&qid=1634095795&s=automotive&sr=1-1&vehicle=1986-47-427-439--9-8-7-1364-491-8-2--95-&vehicleName=1986+Chevrolet+C20+Suburban

Old October 12th, 2021, 11:44 PM
CF Junior Member

I wish the gasket set I bought had been only 7.00, but mine cost me almost 32.00 for a similar set only for the 79-86 C10 suburban Silverado. That set I don't believe will fit mine according to fel pro.
I will take your advice on the sealant, as it makes sense, but I have a lot of prepping to get the metal shavings out of the cover and off the block, and more before I can close it up. I bought my set from parts geek, as they had the best price for my application. In general, they are high, but the kid paid for the parts , as the chain I think was almost the same or less. (Cloyes double roller timing set)
I'm ordering another water pump too, as this one is still ok, but leaking on the back side plate, so decided to just buy a new one.I'm going with an Airtex.
Old October 14th, 2021, 2:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Another timing cover reseal video to peruse with added suggestions

Found this video easier to follow. Instead of 4 pan bolts on each side loosened it only states 2. Talks about removing timing cover ears. Anybody else do that? If so please comment.

My thanks to "oil can" for your suggestions.
Old October 15th, 2021, 9:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I always had better luck just dropping the pan to get the timing chain cover off.
Old October 16th, 2021, 1:46 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm down for saving time and money ,not saying there aren't several ways to do it, but, to each his own.. What I would really like to know is, has anyone here ever cut the ears off ?
In a repair shop,we all know they use a time book that gives the estimated labor in hours for every job, if the mechanic can do the job in less time by time saving tricks, time is money, and they still charge the same. Nothing wrong with working hard, but, I prefer working smart.
MY PROBLEM IS ; WHERE THE VEHICLE IS currently parked , It's on a private lot with permit parking only, parking there gets you booted. It Is in a college town where even the ajoining street parking is rare as local construction workers and students in apartments vie for parking every day, so weekends are my only option, but, there is no hurry, so, most weekends , I only get one day a week if there is a home football game. I have other jobs , so, it's one thing at a time, if I don't finish it fast, I'm not under any pressure to get it done, so I can screw the pooch so to say if something else pops up ..
Old October 16th, 2021, 3:34 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by LarryE
I always had better luck just dropping the pan to get the timing chain cover off.
The design is way better than the FoMocCo or Dodge design. Real easy to get off and back on for me.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; October 27th, 2021 at 5:08 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 12:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Update

Update : tried to pull crank timing gear last Sun. , but puller was inadequate. Used heat but still no cigar, wouldn't budge. Bought a 3 jaw puller, and will try this weekend again. Prepped and cleaned filthy timing cover, and balancer, but want to purchase a timing tape to add to dampner for resetting total advance. I will change the oil and filter due to metal in timing chain area. Haven't ordered the timing tape due to not measuring diameter of harmonic balancer to get the correct one, also want to paint timing cover , + highlight timing marks etc prior to reassembly. I guess the ears are on the rubber bottom pan seal, but might not need to cut them off. Will try to use the balancer R&R tool to press the crank gear back on. Received the new water pump this week, but need to buy an oil filter. The ramcharger I'm driving has been shutting down suddenly, so, that's been problematic. Homing in on the source. Grocery store I shop at a day ago was reported it had a covid outbreak even though everyone wears masks.( I was there a few days prior to that, so far, since the beginning of this man made pandemic, I have not contracted it.) Theres Always something huh. More to report as I head down the home stretch.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 3:22 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Jay Dee
Found this video easier to follow. Instead of 4 pan bolts on each side loosened it only states 2. Talks about removing timing cover ears. Anybody else do that? If so please comment.
https://youtu.be/lkxX5t_Eq1o
My thanks to "oil can" for your suggestions.
You are welcome. I am watching your progress, Jay Dee.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 3:38 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Jay Dee
I wish the gasket set I bought had been only 7.00, but mine cost me almost 32.00 for a similar set only for the 79-86 C10 suburban Silverado. That set I don't believe will fit mine according to fel pro.
I will take your advice on the sealant, as it makes sense, but I have a lot of prepping to get the metal shavings out of the cover and off the block, and more before I can close it up. I bought my set from parts geek, as they had the best price for my application. In general, they are high, but the kid paid for the parts , as the chain I think was almost the same or less. (Cloyes double roller timing set)
I'm ordering another water pump too, as this one is still ok, but leaking on the back side plate, so decided to just buy a new one.I'm going with an Airtex.
Might as well do the water pump, I agree. It's so easy to swap out with the 265-400 GM engine design. I love Those golden alloy rockers the man in the video has on his GM 350 V8.

Quick Reply: Asking for advice about an 86 silverado suburban timing chain slip.