Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Automatically fold away mirrors when locking the car

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2010, 1:41 AM
ldr
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatically fold away mirrors when locking the car

Hey,

is there a way to automatically fold away the mirrors after locking the car with the remote from outside? Can this be programmed?

Lars
Old September 1st, 2010, 7:42 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nope

that would make too much sense for GM. Like allowing the power windows to operate until the DRIVER gets out.

So I get radio, and windows, unless someone gets out... then I keep the radio, but not the windows?! wtf GM?!

Or how about a sat nav that's more useful than a 40 year old garmin?

Sorry, the answer is no. And yes, I'm a bit jaded on the tech on my Tahoe... it's subpar to say the least.
Old September 1st, 2010, 9:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sabr while I think you do bash the Tahoe more than needed, I do agree there are some random quirks with what GM left out. The window thing I noticed right away. I mean even my '99 Acura TL lets the windows and sunroof work after you turn the car off until the driver opens the door. And why not auto up/down for all windows?
seems that leaving out some of these small conveniences are pointless because it is not like it is new technology/cost for GM anymore. Almost something people come to expect in every vehicle.

but I bet there are ways to hack in and make the mirrors fold when you lock the truck or you can just hit the button when you get out of the truck
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM
ldr
CF Junior Member

Meanwhile I hit the button automatically whenever I park the car as you said but would still be nice if it would happen automatically.
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:57 AM
CF Addict

Default yea

while I agree I do 'bash' it a lot, I spent $53,300 + on this thing, and over-all, would not likely do it again...

It's like GM went out of it's way to make poor choices in technology functionality...

I'll start a new thread for that if I get time...

But, on the bright side, if we had access to the source code, why couldn't we tell the BCM to fold the mirrors while it's in park, or when u hit lock / unlock?

Personally, this would not work for ME, since I have a 1 car garage and need to fold the mirrors to get in the door... lol. but it could be an option.

I think BMW mirrors can fold when you put it in park.

I'd also allow the power windows to work whenever the car is unlocked.

the tailgate does, so why can't the windows?!

I'd also have the rain sensor check for rain every 20 min when the windows are down and it's locked... if it senses rain... put the windows UP.

Ferrarri does that with their convertables... it's all there, you just need software to tell it what to do!
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:07 AM
CF Senior Member

ya like you say just need to software to update it all. but GM has never been "cutting edge" on technology...I bet cars in the future (even now) will be much more user adaptable and customizable regarding the electronics vs just bolt on items.
I would also be mad if I spent $53k on this truck but we got our 3 year old Tahoe with nearly every option and 45000 miles for $26k so I am very happy with it buying a new car is fun and all but very expensive...
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM
CF Addict

Default yea

yea, i'll never buy a 'new' car again... but I do keep them 12+ years. the 07 didn't have the improved tranny, cooled seats, bluetooth, or the electric brake controller I wanted...

I was able to justify it because when I was looking the '08s were not 'much' less $. I got supplier pricing on the '09...

but new vs used is another thread too!
Old September 1st, 2010, 2:59 PM
CF Senior Member

I would LOVE cooled seats...the 1 feature I really want to have when I replace my Acura. gets hot as heck in TX.

not to hijack the thread but how are your cooled seats holding up and how good do they work? I test drove a new Ram truck and they are having major problems with the leather surface in the cooled seats. it stretches and tears very easy and the cooling part does not work very well at all. a guy I work with has a Lincoln with them and it works ok but not as good as I would expect
Old September 1st, 2010, 3:00 PM
CF Active Member

Hmm, if you look at my old audi, that u could change almost anything u wanted. All u need is VAG-COM soft and OBDII wire to connect it to your laptop.
U can close or open windows via remote, fold mirrors, close sunroof etc.
Old September 1st, 2010, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

I agree that the mechanisms to do all sorts of stuff are in place, they just chose not to do it or didn't put a lot of thought into how they did what they included.

Killing power to the windows once you open the door is just stupid. Everything should remain "energized" until the lock button on the key fob is pressed. Then shut everything down.

I came from a 06 TL and one of the features I loved about that car was the ability to roll down all the windows by holding the unlock button on the key fob after pressing it twice. It made such a huge difference when walking across a blazing hot parking lot in the summer to open the whole thing up even though you were going to get inside in just a minute.

Piping trouble codes to the mid if the cel activates would be cool too.

Quick Reply: Automatically fold away mirrors when locking the car