Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Autoride questions...

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2014, 2:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autoride questions...

So I recently replaced the rear autoride shocks on my 2007 tahoe with arnott oem replacements.

I have noticed that the truck, at least once after sitting overnight has a slight lean on the left side. This particular time, when I started up the truck, I stayed by the back tire and heard the compressor run for maybe 5 seconds? and physically saw the drivers side of the truck raise up a bit.

Now in all honesty, I did not look at this again, to see if both sides went up. I have not done a soapy water test on all the lines and fittings. I DID notice that same sort of sag with the old shocks...its what prompted me to replace them in the first place.

I have measured both tops of the fenderwell to the ground and found this measurement to be maybe 1/4 inch lower on the drivers side.

The bags on the shocks always seem inflated, and feel full to the squeeze, regardless of overnight check prior to starting or not.

I also recall that during the install, I noticed that when I connected the drivers side airline and was tightening everything up, the bag looked empty and "squeezable" though I did not squeeze it. The passenger side was done a couple hours later (everything still disconnected) and when I attached that airline it seemed as if there was a "vacuum" effect where the bag was not puffy as before but almost sucked in. I don't know if it occurred immediately or after I took some loading off the bottom of the shock, but I did notice it.

Both bags full of air now look the same at this point.

Now the questions:

Whats the proper way to measure it? With the car running or not?
Should I be concerned that the its slightly lower on that side?
How full of air should the bags be when the truck is unloaded? (no cargo or people)
Can (or should) I remove the airlines with the truck off to relieve the pressure in the bags completely and make some sort of measurement, and then connect them back up and start the truck, allowing them to air up, and measure again? Or would this mess something up somehow?

More background:

I've had the truck for just over 2 weeks. Prior to this when it was turned in it had "service suspension" displayed. The found the compressor bad and replaced it. This was on or about 5/9/14, so a little over a month ago. According to records, they tested it afterwards and it tested ok. I had heard the compressor run for a little bit once or twice iirc prior to replacing the shocks. Maybe a little longer but I never paid much attention. I never noticed the bags full on the old shocks but I never squeezed them to check.

When I removed the old shocks, and they were fully dropped down, the bags were completely ripped all the way around the shock. On both sides. Despite this, I don't recall the compressor constantly running, but I never loaded the truck with anything either.

I guess I am making this post to see what I can figure out prior to bringing it into the dealer to have them "check" whether its correct or not, which surely will cost me money. I do know the compressor should be warrantied for 12 months or 12000 miles (I think is what I was told), so I want to make sure its right or if I need a new compressor to get it replaced prior to this expiring, since its about $500.

On top of all this I am planning a trip on about 3 weeks pulling my travel trailer. Its a long trip, so I planned on taking a shorter local ride with the trailer hooked up this weekend to see how everything works. But I don't want to make anything worse.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old June 18th, 2014, 7:33 PM
CF Active Member

Ok, so I did some measuring, and the drivers side is pretty much 1/2 inch lower ...slightly less but still.

Do the fronts have any effect on the rears with regards to the sensors?

Any other thoughts at all? I've got to figure this out sooner than later...
Old June 19th, 2014, 8:38 AM
CF Active Member

Ok so today I pulled the airlines (with the truck off) to see what it would measure. Its still 1/4 to 1/2 inch off, completely deflated. Interestingly though, I pulled the passenger side first, and I could hear air seeping out of the connector. Wasn't a lot but it was there. Exhaust valve not functioning properly?

I then disconnected the drivers side, measured (see above) and then reconnected everything and started the truck. This time I stood behind it and watched both sides raise up. Measured and again it still is slightly lower on the drivers side.

At this time I squeezed the bags. Much less "firmer" than they were before! They have air in them and appear to be holing that air just fine, but no idea why they were firmer before. Maybe its the last week of driving or something? Or maybe there is something wrong with the compressor and it keeps running for 5 second every time I start it up, overfilling the bags?

I've made an appt at the dealership for saturday. So maybe they can figure it out. I've yet to try the soapy water deal.
Old June 19th, 2014, 6:00 PM
CF Active Member

Ok well the saga continues....dealer can't get me in so I can't let them figure it out maybe until next week. So...

I got home tonight and measured the height--bottom if well to the ground. Then I loaded a bunch of bags of mulch, prob 6 bags, my hitch and myself into the back of the truck. Within maybe 2 minutes, compressor kicks on and we lifted, great! Or so I thought.

Then I took everything out. Went in the house for a couple minutes, and measured again. Still higher than before loading. So I drove down the street to dinner about 5 to 10 min maybe. Parked and measured. Still higher than before loading.

So now I really think the exhaust valve isn't working. But I have no idea how quickly it vents out in such a situation.
Old June 20th, 2014, 6:03 AM
CF Active Member

So looking around last night I notice the coil spring on the passenger side is not seated properly or so it seems.

Anyone with ideas how to correct this? Maybe I should start a new thread?
Old June 20th, 2014, 5:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm assuming you mean the rear springs, you have to remove the rear shock and disconnect the sway bar from the top, make sure you use 2 jacks. 1 for the frame and 1 under the axle. hen lower the one under the axle until you have clearance to take readjust the spring. there maybe a little bit more involved, but thats how to get the spring