Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Aux battery hookup

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2008, 5:26 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Aux battery hookup

Okay I know this is one of many previous threads but hear me out….
We know…that there is no AUX battery kit from the dealer; we know that the extra battery tray is for the diesel option.
We know there are 2 aux studs on the electrical center under the hood toward the front of the engine, the manual list them at (71) a 40amp trailer wiring and (66) 30amp blunt cut wire they are for external accessories.

Could an aux battery be added and connected to one of the studs to back feed the system for powering the radio and enterainment system?
The circuit is already rated at 30amps so that should be sufficient to charge a battery; the battery should already be isolated so the system wouldn’t try to draw on the aux to start
(When you crank the engine all accessories are disabled I would think that means the aux studs as well) I’m reading thru the manual now and trying to see if there is a diode in place to prevent feed back but I’m not seeing anything at the moment anyone have any input or thoughts?
This isn’t is series so it shouldn’t be an issue of upping to 24volts I just don’t know if the system will react or even care to the voltage coming back that way.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Aux battery hookup

I did a little investigating this morning, I disconnected the battery and removed the fuse block under the hood (yeah it looks scary but its not that bad) the back plane of the fuse block is in separated segments. The accessory studs aren’t connected to all the circuits on the block, however the studs DO share some common connections and one of them is fuse 41 the RDO or radio, clock and radio rear seat controller.
I connected up a battery charger to the studs and back feed the system and the battery was taking the charge and everything worked as normal.
The only thing I need to verify is that the stud(s) go dead when the engine cranks so that I know no current is being pulled back thru the fuse block to assist the starting system.

If the stud goes dead I see no reason why an auxiliary batter couldn’t be added directly tothe fuse centerto provide extra accessory power. (have to remember to disconnect both batteries when servicing the vehicle and disconnecting the battery is needed)