Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

B0090 Body DTC Code-Airbag

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2015, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B0090 Body DTC Code-Airbag

I have a 2008 Suburban airbag light reading this code B0090.

Here's what I've found: B0090 trouble code refers to the restraint (seatbelt) sensor on the left front seat.

http://www.obd-codes.com/b0090

I cannot, for the life of me, find the sensor.

I searched the forums before I posted this. Sorry in advance if someone already posted on this.
Old December 20th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is what I had on the code

DTC B0090

DTC DESCRIPTORS

DTC B0090 0F
Rollover Sensor Erratic

DTC B0090 3A
Rollover Sensor Incorrect Component Installed

DTC B0090 39

Rollover Sensor Internal Electronic Failure

DTC B0090 71

Rollover Sensor Invalid Serial Data Received

DIAGNOSTIC FAULT INFORMATION

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
The inflatable restraint vehicle rollover sensor (ROS) utilizes battery power supply and a bidirectional interface circuit. The ROS modulates current on the interface to send ID, State of Health, and deployment commands to the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM). When the ignition is turned on the ROS responds by performing internal diagnostics and sending an ID to the SDM. The ROS continually communicates status messages to the SDM, which determines if a fault is present in the ROS circuit. If the fault is present, the SDM will set a diagnostic trouble code (DTC).

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
Ignition voltage is between 9-16 volts .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
All of the following conditions must exist for 5 seconds :

B0090 0F

The SDM received a fault present message from the ROS.
The ROS is in assembly plant mode and the SDM is in production mode.
The SDM has not received any data from the ROS.
B0090 3A
The SDM has received an ID message from the vehicle rollover sensor which does not match the ID stored in the SDM memory.
The SDM has reset the vehicle rollover sensor twice without detecting the correct ID message.
B0090 39
The SDM has received a NOK message from the vehicle rollover sensor.
The SDM has not received a message.
B0090 71
The SDM has received invalid serial data from the vehicle rollover sensor.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via serial data communications.
The side air bag deployment loops will be disabled for rollover events only. For side impact events the side air bags are still enabled.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC
The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists and the scan tool Clear DTCs function is used.
A history DTC will clear once 100 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
If either the SDM or vehicle rollover sensor were replaced verify that the correct part numbers were used for the vehicle application and the components were properly configured. Refer to Control Module References for SDM and ROS setup and programming. See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning

CIRCUIT/SYSTEM TESTING

IMPORTANT: When removing connectors inspect for damage or corrosion. Damage or corrosion in the following requires repair or replacement of the affected component/connector.
The vehicle rollover sensor
The SDM module
The vehicle rollover sensor harness connector
The SDM wiring harness connector
For DTC B0090 39 replace the vehicle rollover sensor.
For DTC B0090 0F, B0090 3A and B0090 71 request DTC from ROS and repair any ROS DTC prior to continuing this diagnostic procedure.
With Ignition OFF, disconnect the vehicle rollover sensor connector.
Remove the SDM connector.
Test the vehicle rollover sensor serial data circuit for an open or high resistance between the vehicle rollover sensor and SDM connector. Verify no open or high resistance exists.
If any of the above conditions are found make the appropriate repair.
Test the vehicle rollover sensor ignition 1 voltage circuit for a short to ground, a high resistance, or an open. Verify no short to ground, a high resistance, or an open exists.
If any of the above conditions are found make the appropriate repair.
Replace the inflatable restraint vehicle rollover sensor. Perform the Inflatable Restraint Vehicle Rollover Sensor Programming and Setup procedure.
Ignition ON, use the scan tool to clear the DTCs, then recheck for DTC B0090. Verify that the DTC does not reset.
If DTC B0090 was current replace the SDM.

REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.
Inflatable Restraint Vehicle Rollover Sensor Replacement
Control Module References for SDM and ROS replacement, setup, and programming.
Old December 21st, 2015, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

in2pro

That's a lot of basic information which is helpful.

Is there an obvious location for this control module and or rollover sensor or is there more than one thing that can be defective?

I retired Chevrolet tech told me to find the plug and insert dielectric grease. It's a basic repair which works quite often.
Old December 21st, 2015, 7:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

its worth a shot.

I've never changed one. the service info I have says its under the center console. it shows a 6 pin connector going to it.
pin
1 red/white
2 empty
3 dark green
4 empty
5 yellow/black
6 black/white
good luck.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

tech2, do you have an image with location by any chance?

Much appreciate all that this group does.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Should be located under the drivers seat, it should be noted that it is not plug and play, if replaced it will likely need dealer programming...
Attached Thumbnails B0090 Body DTC Code-Airbag-capture.png  
Old December 22nd, 2015, 1:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

that is the sdm. the aftermarket info I have show the roll-over sensor separate from the sdm. before looking at this info, I would have assumed it to be part of the sdm.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

OK guys, I think I recognize the part under the seat. I was told it's a $600 repair with parts and labor. Figured adding the dielectric grease first wouldn't hurt.
Old July 5th, 2023, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JonCich
OK guys, I think I recognize the part under the seat. I was told it's a $600 repair with parts and labor. Figured adding the dielectric grease first wouldn't hurt.
Can you please post a picture of the part?