Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bad alternator noise after speaker install

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2012, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad alternator noise after speaker install

So I wasn't entirely pleased with my Bose speakers so I decided to upgrade my speakers. I got the Boston acoustic 6.5 components and a re xt800.4 amplifier. I ran my power wire under my car and up through my floor. All my rcas are on the passenger side not running with any power. All my grounds are solid and for some reason I'm picking up bad alternator whine. I went out and bought a ground loop isolator and that worked for a day and then the noise started coming through again. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Old February 1st, 2012, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Oh and I have a 2008 Tahoe lt
Old February 4th, 2012, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Are you using the factory radio with a line output converter (LOC) or a aftermarket head unit? Make sure your RCAs are not running by any heavy gauge wires such as fan motor supplies, etc. If you are using a LOC make sure it is secured up away from everything. Make sure your grounding point has all the paint removed from the body. A check to see if you don't have a voltage change from the amp ground input to the (-)battery terminal ( to do this get a multimeter and set it to DC V and put the negative lead to the battery and the posotive lead to the amp ground input (all while it is turned on) and check to see if you get a voltage reading). If you get a reading look for a better ground point. You can also T off and run the radio ground to the body.