Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bad Starter, bell housing noise

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2017, 3:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Starter, bell housing noise

Just an FYI,

I heard a ringing, clattering coming from bell housing and found my starter was bad, the return spring that pulls the starter drive gear away from the flywheel was bad. it was knocking on the flywheel making a very decisive noise. it very much sounded like something loose in the exhaust or that a TQ convertor bolt had come loose and was rattling around in the housing.
I would say I narrowly averted catastrophic disaster. If the gear had made contact with ring gear while at speed, who knows the carnage that could have taken place. let your mind run wild.

I bought the starter auto zone for 174.00 (gold product) and installed in 30 minutes.

R&R the starter was VERY easy, there are several videos on youtube this one is the best. Follow it and don't be afraid to DIY.

I literally had zero problems doing it. It was as easy as pie. (whatever that means) or maybe pi?

So don't be afraid.

next project is to fix a broken engine mount. Not sure I will do it. I may hire out for it as I only have a one car garage in my condo.

Good luck