Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Battery Drain - TBC Fuse seems to be problem

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2014, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain - TBC Fuse seems to be problem

Hey guys,

I have a 2001 Suburban 1500 LT ... Recently I have battery drain issue where if I leave the truck sit for 2 or 3 days the battery is DEAD. I left it sit for a week and the battery was toast, would not take a charge and needed a new one.

Anyway after hooking a multi-meter up it seems the battery drain was rating 0.16 amps.. When I pulled the TBC fuse it immediately went down to 0.02 amps.

After reading what I could here and other sites I was wondering --- Can I just pull the TBC fuse each night and then put it back in when I am ready to use the truck again as an easy fix? --- Is there any issue with doing that long term?

I am not mechanically inclined so any work I would need to bring to garage etc. so trying to find easy/cheap fix (LOL)

Any help is appreciated
Dan
Old July 15th, 2014, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

My Buddy just advised me to get one of those solar chargers and plug it into the cig lighter plug. He said that it should charge the battery enough to take car of that amount of battery drain.

Thoughts???
Old July 16th, 2014, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Guess I stumped everyone ( lol ) ... Well as a short term fix it seems to work. Left the fuse out for 2 days and when I put it back in he truck started fine.

Did not buy the solar charger yet but may do so just as an add on for when I have it parked through work etc.
Old January 21st, 2024, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

I know this post was from 10 years ago but I also have a 2001 Suburban LT (2500 version) that drains the battery after couple of days...

I've pulled all of the fuses on the interior panel box and none of them seem to make a difference.

I've pulled the SEO1 fuse under the hood to "disable onstar", RDO AMP because I have an aftermarket radio installed and not using the factory amp and RR WPR because I have barn doors and no rear wiper.

After it's "asleep" i see a draw of .080 on my meter
Pull the TBC fuse and it drops to .030 (50ma drain)
Pull the Radio fuse and it drops to .070 (10ma drain)

I'm open to ideas on what to replace or remove next to find the draw?
Old January 21st, 2024, 6:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 659 Likes on 598 Posts

Have your battery tested. Sometimes there's internal shorts.

I've seen faulty alternators drain batteries too.

Old January 21st, 2024, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hey mountainmanjoe!

I just replaced the battery a month ago. Last battery only lasted 16 months because it kept getting drained down, under 7 volts 3-4 times finally killed it and it wouldn't charge back up even with my "smart" Battery Tender charger.

I've removed the alternator main lead and the small plug and neither makes a difference to the amperage draw. Alternator tests out good, I have a small battery/charger tester that shows if there is AC ripple or charging issues..

I may drive this vehicle once a month or sometimes less as it's only needed for pulling around the camper or doing some snow plowing so I'd like to find whats drawing it down so it doesn't kill another battery...