Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Best tuner option

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2021, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tuner option

What tuner do you use/like for firming up sifts? I知 thinking of doing that for transmission towing life.
Old July 15th, 2021, 8:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Changing fluid every 35k miles and the factory tow mode is all you'll need. No need for ''tunes'' for harder shifts. I replaced my rear U joints at 100k miles as a preventative service and I had the needle bearing marks in the crosses from towing loads. Harder shifts will kill the U joints even faster. Been there in the past with a street / strip trans. that was ''firm''.
Old July 15th, 2021, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

I agree and that痴 great advice. I wasn稚 planning on making it shift clunky, just firm up the 1-2 and also adjust the downshifting, I feel like that could be a little better. Also planning on disabling the afm. Are their software programs other than the handheld devices?
Old July 16th, 2021, 7:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

I've been running the Range AFM plug in disabler in my '11 for 90k miles now. No issues. I only use full synth. oils also as I don't want lifter issues. 1 mpg highway loss isn't worth the AFM lifter hassles.
Old July 16th, 2021, 10:51 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I got a Blackbear shortly after acquiring my Suburban in 2013. Went with the Autocal option. I do a lot of heavy towing, and GM is pretty heavy-handed with torque management. I wanted to increase throttle response, and wanted more aggressive shiftpoints in Tow/Haul. 100% satisfied with it.

PS - I agree with the above regarding firming up shifts causing premature failure. There's a reason GM is heavy-handed on TM, and that's to make stuff last. The half-ton trucks are, for lack of a better word, a little "fragile" in this regard. My 2500, including the 6L90, is completely overengineered and overkill for this application, so I figure the trans/u-joints/rear axle could handle the additional stress. 213k miles and lots of heavy towing, and so far that's held true.
The following users liked this post:
repairman54 (July 17th, 2021)
Old July 17th, 2021, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

Are you saying firming up the shifts will make the trans break down faster or just the u joints and rear end? I値l probably change to 3.42 or even 3.73 down the road. Upgraded u joints aren稚 that expensive.
Old July 19th, 2021, 2:56 AM
CF Beginner

I am use heavyduty towing truck for towing
Old July 19th, 2021, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

I wasn稚 able to find something more suited within the timeframe I had. Vehicles come out of the factory tuned and set up for what will please most drivers. With that said and knowing how I will treat this vehicle, I think there are some steps I壇 like to take that will better my experiences along the way.

So, with doing all my own mechanic work for the past 20 years I値l make some changes to suit my needs. I just wanted some insight to the software experiences the forum can offer, not a simpleminded answer. Googling shows a few with the options I知 looking for, but was hoping for something I could put on the laptop.

I知 all for some jokes, but you can leave the ignorant BB gun caliber cerebral firepower comments elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Heavyduty007
I am use heavyduty towing truck for towing
Old November 25th, 2021, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

Hi,Traveling daily via personal car is quite tiring for busy professionals, so they prefer to avail themselves taxi services to reach their destinations. If you are one active career-oriented person and looking for a taxi service in Rowlett, you can connect us.
Old November 28th, 2021, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torchwork,
Check out HP Tuners. It is an advanced tuning software where you can adjust both engine and transmission tuning, as well as additional things. Also look into the software Bluecat Trans to help with the trans tables. BC Trans will be a great benefit if you change your differential gears or tire sizes. The newer HP Tuners will also have a Gear and Tire Wizard that is similar to BC Trans.

I use HP Tuners on my 2018 Suburban (7" lift and 35" tires). I worked well for me. I run it on a windows 7 laptop, but it will work on Windows 10 and a few other OS.

Last edited by CBass; November 28th, 2021 at 9:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Best tuner option