Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Black/Dark Paint + Microfiber Cloth = bad?

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2008, 1:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black/Dark Paint + Microfiber Cloth = bad?

I have some of the Turtle Wax Ice products and they all came with microfiber cloths. I also have bought some more of these cloths and put some in every car we have to clean sunglasses etc.
BUT...I was reading the Black vs Silver Birch post on the Z71 board (where I posted this too)and I thought I read something about microfiber cloths and swirlys! :blink:
I have a balck Z71 Sub abd Son's 95 Tahoe is that really dark blue w/ metallic and it is in pretty good shape for 13 year old paint.
So what's the verdict: To microfiber or not to microfiber? Do I go raid my husband's t-shirts? What is best to use on dark cars?[/align]
Old September 2nd, 2008, 8:17 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Black/Dark Paint + Microfiber Cloth = bad?

I don't think there is a perfect cloth, any dark color is going to show swirl marks the second you start rubbing any thing abrasive across its surface.
I perfer terrycloth towels with loose open loops , turn and change frequently, the vehicle must be clean! and absolutely dirt/grit free but you will still get swirls by the simple nature of the motion. the only way to never get swirls is to never wipe the surface, that ain't gonna happen. Your best bet is to use large smooth motion when polishing and always do itunder complete cover. thats my 2bits its also why I only buy white vehicles good luck!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

One way to test a cloth to see if will scratch is to rub it on the play surface of a CD (I use those ones from AOL) and if it scratches the CD, don't use that cloth. Another rule is if you drop the cloth on the ground, don't use it 'til it's been washed. Also read where you shouldn't use fabric softener on microcloths.

A black vehicle gets swirl marks just by looking at it. Keeping one clean is a full-time job.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 6:48 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

YES! Thanks shark for validating my “retentiveness” about not using a cloth/ towel or in my case a sponge after its been dropped. Even in the drive way you can pick up just a single grain of silica or sand on a wet or damp towel or sponge, if you don’t wash or rinse it completely, that single grain will leave a trail of scratch of everywhere it travels across the surface of your vehicle. The wife/kids can’t understand why my truck towels and sponges can’t be used for anything else. I even launder my truck stuff seperate from everything else.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 8:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the microfiber cloths that are for glass use. They are silk smoothe and pretty much zero abrasive. [/align]
Old September 4th, 2008, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use micro onwindows and only soft terry cloth towels on body. Like everyone else says, if a cloth touches the ground, time for a fresh one.
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

When you have a black truck, you have to be a little ****.